Building an extension by direct labour

nai

Hi folks,

has anybody tried building an extension themselves by direct labour rather than going the builder managed route ?

It would be circa 380 sq ft - not too big but most builders are quoting around 150 euro per square foot !! - bloody expensive for one room !

I have all of the necessary skills readily available except for blocklayer and plasterer and someone to do foundations.
Can anyone give a recommendation of people they may have used to do this ?
Also an idea of price of a self build would be helpful !

cheers,
nai

Do the foundations yourself?

Get somebody to dig it out with a mini digger, put in some steel and order the concrete, its not that complicated.

Done it myself room to back of house and make open plan kitchen ie take wall down between kitchen and dining room, price I got where around35,000-40,000 euro, So we dug out foundation ourselves and filled concrete in just check around to make sure u know how to do it right, pluber and sparks in family lucky there, Got builder to do walls and plaster board, got own chippy and roofer, all cost including 45 sq m of wooden flooring put in all around 20,000, As nike say Just Do it

Jister said:
Do the foundations yourself?

Get somebody to dig it out with a mini digger, put in some steel and order the concrete, its not that complicated.

Hi oulu,

Could you give more of a breakdown in relation to the costs incurred ?
eg how much for blocklayer / plasterer / carpenter / roofer and also how much for materials ?

I'm only looking for high level figures ....

I also have carpenter in family and he's willing to work for free.
Did you do the subfloor/concrete floor yourself as well ?

Also I presume you had to get planning permission (based on your size) and hence drawings etc.

cheers,
nai

I was lucky with builder he was friend of brother he would order the materials and I would pay COD this meant the builder as they do did not add on 25% plus for making the phone call , all material around 6000 euro, chippy cost doing roof outside and timber roof inside u know the pine look roof, laying 45 sq m timber floor 1100E labour, tiler cost me for roofing apex 600E, hope this helps, call all your favours in and you will save serious cash, mini digger is great idea cost u around 300e or so ask around , fill yourself get 3-4 wheel barrows and the hands to help throw the drive an extra 50E for waiting, ie those pumps cost a lot, do painting yourself, yes we did sub floor ourselves have a plan and stick to it, what part of the country are u in
nai]Hi oulu,

Could you give more of a breakdown in relation to the costs incurred ?
eg how much for blocklayer / plasterer / carpenter / roofer and also how much for materials ?

I'm only looking for high level figures ....

I also have carpenter in family and he's willing to work for free.
Did you do the subfloor/concrete floor yourself as well ?

Also I presume you had to get planning permission (based on your size) and hence drawings etc.

cheers,
nai[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thanks Oulu for your breakdown.

Am living in Swords so I'll be paying Dublin prices (eek!).

Am just trying to figure out price estimates to work out how much better off we'd be doing it ourselves but your data certainly helped Oulu.
Based on your figure of 20000 was the builder you had in to do the block work the expensive bit ? ie ~12000 after 6000 materials, 1100 carpenter, 600 tiler and 300 digger ?

Cheers
nai

No builder was 9000 thousand in total for labour, but u could get brickie to do blockwork for u

nai said:
Hi,

Thanks Oulu for your breakdown.

Am living in Swords so I'll be paying Dublin prices (eek!).

Am just trying to figure out price estimates to work out how much better off we'd be doing it ourselves but your data certainly helped Oulu.
Based on your figure of 20000 was the builder you had in to do the block work the expensive bit ? ie ~12000 after 6000 materials, 1100 carpenter, 600 tiler and 300 digger ?

Cheers
nai

Back