Building a house and looking for advice on kitchens.

AlEl16

Hi
Starting to build a House soon and looking at kitchen ideas, have seen some fab ones on sites online but most are solid wood and I can imagine cost alot. A friend recently put in a lovely one but cost 23K!Solid wood!prob only going to have a budget of around 10K so I am wondering do say local/small scale kitchen businesses do coated kitchens as in that they look the same as the expensive soild ones but are only mdf? I am looking at the likes of cash and carry but not sure they do the larder type presses that cabinet makers do!
In cork county so any suggestions of reasonably kitchen makers appreciated, Thanks

Unless you are seriously wealthy 23k on a kitchen is nuts, actually 10k is pretty well nuts also. A mid sized kitchen, units only not including appliances should cost 2 to 3 thousand euros.

And in 5 or 7 years time you can throw it out and get a new one. Anything you put in now will look dated in 10 years time, this tends to happen even faster with the more expensive styles.

The larder type presses with the sliding shelves are a disaster. You spill sugar or flour in it once and you can never clean the slider mechanism.

I think it's nuts too!!But I'm seeing mad prices so was getting worried!!I had actually only thought 5-7 would do, as mother got an express one for 3 but my kitchen is abit bigger plus an island!ya I don't like the metal pull out larders, seen the ones now with wooden shelves and drawers in them but I'm guessing they are all only in the 20k kitchens!!lol!

Put in a 3k kitchen 10 years ago with thought like above...replace in two yrs...just recently painted it myself and it's fabulous...got island worth 1200 for 380 off donedeal, full granite.

If I searching for a kitchen I'd go to showrooms on donedeal selling off display models..

Iv seen very expensive kitchens badly designed and/or fitted...

Have a look at Award Kitchens. I must declare that it's owned by my friend's father but they gave me great ideas I would never have thought of and upcycled lots.even ideas and plans for dead space. Guy who does design just came up with ideas I wouldn't have thought of and not expensive. My mam was so impressed she used too. As I said it's my friend's dad but I did check out lots of places independently

If you want the solid wood look, just get solid doors and go with PVC coated mdf or chipboard carcasses. Full wood carcasses are rare and will significantly increase the cost without adding much in the way of aesthetics and nothing in terms of functionality.

If you have the option designing your kitchen, build a walk in larder. It only needs to be 4' x 4 with floor to ceiling plain shelving on either side. The stud walling with sliding pocket door will cost a fraction of the same amount of presses and is much, much, handier to store and pick out what you need.

Also design for two dishwashers, so you always have a 'clean' one and a 'dirty' one. Saves so much time, emptying and filling. Just use the crockery from 'clean' d/wash and put it into 'dirty' one when finished. Yet another storage press you don't need!

You query the cost of a €300 appliance that will run for 10 years, but don't question throwing out a kitchen after 5?

Also design for two dishwashers, so you always have a 'clean' one and a 'dirty' one. Saves so much time, emptying and filling. Just use the crockery from 'clean' d/wash and put it into 'dirty' one when finished. Yet another storage press you don't need!

...or you just let the two of them fill up and as the dishwasher(S) are full of dirty dishes, you've nothing to eat your food off of!! ;)

The dishwasher in my house is typing this post ;)

I recently did my kitchen (small one) in Dublin for around 7 - 8K with quite a high spec from Eco interiors. I would rather pay a bit more and not have to replace it for a good 10 yrs or so. They offer a more modern look, bu the quality is good. See http://ecointeriors.ie/ PS: I have no connection to them.

Thanks for all your replies!Il pass on the 2 dishwashers though!!lol!went for a look in cash and carry today (husband is like walls arent up yet isnt it abit early to be looking!) never too early I think! Of course I fell in love with the new Lyndale Inframe kitchen but it will cost more than my imagined 10k budget so will have to pass!might look into seeing can a smaller company/carpenter do something similar at a better price!!

I recently did my kitchen (small one) in Dublin for around 7 - 8K with quite a high spec from Eco interiors. I would rather pay a bit more and not have to replace it for a good 10 yrs or so. They offer a more modern look, bu the quality is good. See http://ecointeriors.ie/ PS: I have no connection to them.

+1 on ecointeriors.ie - Got my kitchen there before Christmas. Excellent quality stuff, and top nodge installer.

2 dishwashers? The Celtic Phoenix truly has risen from the ashes...
If you have the option designing your kitchen, build a walk in larder. It only needs to be 4' x 4 with floor to ceiling plain shelving on either side. The stud walling with sliding pocket door will cost a fraction of the same amount of presses and is much, much, handier to store and pick out what you need.

Fisher and paykel do a dishwasher with two drawers but costs a fair bit. I have one for the last 10 years with no issues and is very convenient

Just a funny story...
Friend was 6 ft 7 and had his two dishwashers installed off ground and worktop raised

Unfortunately he got married to a girl who was 4 11. Wedding present was a step.

Back