Build costs

The Society of Chartered Surveyors gives a rebuilding cost guide on their site [broken link removed] if that is any use to you.

Jiggsy,

We a about 2 month away from completing our selfbuild here in Mayo.

We are looking @ 170k for the build (2100 sq Timber Frame, UFH + Geo).

I sourced the UFH for both floors for 4500k euro & did it myself.

If you want have a look at the blog I keep. www.selfbuildireland.blogspot.com

Yop,
the blog is great , i can see myself dipping into it a fair bit. What part of mayo are you building? I have just started building in belmullet so i have a good years excitment ahead of me

Place called Islandeady, about 3 miles Westport side of Castlebar.
Fun, thats the word alright!!

Will consider UFH if we go Direct Labour which is looking like a must.

We need to get a Quantity of Materials list, does a Architect of this as an extra.

I wouldn't have thought that the architect would provide a Quantity of Materials. What you may be looking for is a Cost Plan or Bill of Quantities from a Quantity Surveyor. I would say approx. 500E. It is quite detailed and lists all quantities and types of materials used in the build and gives you an idea where the costs lie. You can then request a blank copy (no prices) if you plan to tender the build.

If you are going direct labour then consider insurance just in case someone is not covered. It could end up being an expensive build if something goes wrong and you are not covered.

I am waiting on planning permission at the moment,building a 2200sq ft bunglow on a mortgage of 200,000 do ye think that will be enough doing it by direct labour??

We are currently awaiting planning - 2 years later! That's another post but we got a lot of detailed quotations. Average price for builder route is ~€100 per sq ft. If you're going direct labour you could possibly get that down to ~€75-€80 per sq. ft. Don't even think about going direct labour if you're going to be relying on the Golden Pages for your suppliers. Personal experience/recommendations are essential. You will have a huge advantage by living on-site - you'll be able to keep an eye on tradesmen and deliveries.

The prices quoted depend on the finish obviously - I wouldn't agree about the block built being more economical than timber frame. GOOD brickies are quite expensive and are essential if you want square rooms!. There are a lot of things to be considered if you're wondering about masonry built v timber frame. We plan on going timber frame - plenty of insulation and sound proofing should eliminate the main problems! We found Cygnum in Macroom quite competitive - its important to compare each package as opposed to price - we priced their "Silent Home" Package.

Got another price back today from builder 320k. thats about 110 per square foot.

Direct labour is looking good, we bought a good mobile home for 1500k of a self builder in excellent condition.

Are you referring to something like Griffner Coillte? They complete the house structure in approximately two weeks on-site to an extremely high standard with great quality products/materials. They will use their own designs or they can use your plans - just send them your plans and they'll revert with a costing.

[broken link removed]

Got a Price from another Timber framed builder today, includes everything but Finished flooring, Fire places and Kitchen

E248

he's a family contact so we got a discount.

This looks like a good price, it will take the hassel of us. We will most likely go with this.

ill keep ye posted

Hello All

Glad to see I am (or will be) in the same boat as all the Co.Cork builders on here.

We're building 310 sq mtrs (plus garage) Timber frame in Dooughmore but still at planning stage.

Jigsey, Would be very happy to know which builders you have approached.
Do all the timber frame companies offer a full build service in Cork.

Obviously price is high on the list but a quality job is even higher.

Thanks for any advice / help

Free Speech - who did your neighbour use? I didn't think there was another co. in that area. Great because, as you said, Griffner are expensive!

Aphrodite - for a builder you could try Murphy New Homes - they build in Donoughmore - actually I think they only build their designs - worth checking out though - if only for prices.

TimberFrame - we priced IJM (Monaghan), Century (Waterford), Cygnum (Lissarda now Macroom) and a few smaller local co's. We decided to run with a co. who had been doing timber frame for a considerable amount of time - too many new co's at it. We decided on Cygnum and went for their Silent Home Package - but we're still waiting on planning so no further experience to share with you. Best of luck with the build!

Am building a 2650sqF dormer self build bungalow in Blarney, have so far approached approx 8 TF manufacturers to get quotes - they are due back in about 2 weeks or so. So far i have been impressed by Cygnum as they have been the only ones to ask relevant questions about the design etc - will post up the quotes when there in if anyone is interested.

Joecoe

Aphrodite

Have gave your plans out to builders yet???,

We have sent out to about 7 builders, (3 timber Framed 4 Block)
Prices vary from E220 to E310 (got 4 replies so far)

We will more an likely go timber framed.

Back