Budapest District VI: Influence of New Government District

budapest

The Podmaniczky end of town and all those adjoining streets has suddenly moved up to the desirable end of the scale, with the announcement that the new Government Quarter is to be built along the border of Nyugati train station and Podmaniczky ut. It appears to be a truely massive building project/under-taking, and bodes well for that area.

first announced back in November, the architects have finally been chosen

[broken link removed]

Only a few years ago, nobody wanted to live on Podmaniczky utca. Now, things have changed and apartments here can be quite expensive. However, I'm not sure how much difference the Government District will make. It can only be beneficial to this part of District VI in the long term, but I don't see it really making a huge immediate difference to some of the shabbier streets closeby such as Szondi utca/Vorosmarty utca/Csengery utca/Rozsa utca/etc..

It can only be beneficial to this part of District VI in the long term, but I don't see it really making a huge immediate difference to some of the shabbier streets closeby such as Szondi utca/Vorosmarty utca/Csengery utca/Rozsa utca/etc..

absolutely correct Buda, and anyone who has walked those streets between Szondi and Podmaniczky can tell you that it won't change over-night :)

I used to avoid walking the Ferdinand bridge on the dark evenings/nights, as it is just seemed too dangerous!, and Podmaniczky currently has a number of homeless shelters where they come to sleep.

I guess my point is that this can only be viewed as a positive, and I cannot believe that the government won't pump money into the ajoining streets in order to keep the visiting diplomats from seeing any 'eye-sores' :D every government quarter is the same.

The scale of the project (on the Busapest scale) also looks very impressive

I hope you're right, paddyd! As I'm sure you noticed, the underpass leading to the Ferdinand bridge is particularly bad. Not sure why this wasn't improved years ago, as it's effectively another entrance to the West End centre.

With the new government district, West End II and the rest of the development in this area, long term prospects for the surrounding streets seem favourable. However, I wonder how long it will take for this transformation to take place, particularly when you consider that the Hungarian government is not exactly flush with cash at the minute.

I get the impression they have the will but the old bureaucratic papertrail is still a long and tiresome journey

I hope you're right, paddyd! As I'm sure you noticed, the underpass leading to the Ferdinand bridge is particularly bad. Not sure why this wasn't improved years ago, as it's effectively another entrance to the West End centre.

that under-pass is the only thing stopping me walking that way!

The front page of the Budapest Sun today has an interview with the POlish architect talking about his 'hope' to renovate the whole surrounding area, and picks out Podmaniczky for special treatment.

The Ferdinand underpass might be a thing of the past ;)

The front page of the Budapest Sun today has an interview with the POlish architect talking about his 'hope' to renovate the whole surrounding area, and picks out Podmaniczky for special treatment.

The Ferdinand underpass might be a thing of the past ;)

I'm not holding my breath, but it does sound like good news for the area. We bought on Izabella Ut last year, so with this news and Andrassy Gardens coming online, things should be looking up.

where exactly is this area and what do these buildings look like. I read in te hsun they have dirt floors. Im looking for a place maybe like this I could develop. Is there any way of getting more information before i go over and see it. Who owns it?

Not sure if you're talking about the 'Government District' itself or the surrounding area but the former is an area of land next to Nyugati train station, which is being redeveloped mainly to house all of the various government ministries, most of which are currently located in the Lipotváros area in District V. The zone is bordered by Terez Korut, Podmaniczky utca, Nyugati station and the Ferdinand Bridge.

Back