BTL in Irleand????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunn

Wonder if I can get some learned opinions from experienced folks based in Ireland. I am from London and have been reading about the continuing decline in property prices so figured that if one could correctly guess the bottom of the market and try and buy a property then there is a strong chance that when recovery comes then the only way for prices is upward.

Am I right or am I wrong?

1) Are we anywhere near the trough yet. I notice Knight Frank state that prices fell 15% in 2010.

2) Is Dublin good value yet? (e.g. In London we're back to 2007 levels). What are rental yields?

3) Will Irish banks lend to a Brit for BTL in the current climate.

4) What do you folks on the ground feel? Will you be buying property in Ireland anytime soon? Or have you gone off the idea? Might we be looking at long-term sluggishness here?

Very interested on your views.

allsop have an auction in ireland in april to offload properties. if you think the property market is sluggish in london then it is dead in the water here ! London property is a far better bet.

If you're buying with cash, anytime in the next 4 years might be good. My view is there won't be any pick up in values for upwards of 6-10 years. How could there be - there's no evidence of any fundamentals returning to the market for the foreseable. I wouldn't be advising borrowing to invest any time soon, due to unpredictability of the tax regime (dedudability of interest as a legitimate business exmpense may disappear altogether), second home tax, property tax and water charges. Additionally, fixed and tracker rates no longer available. Standard variable will rise overtime in line with government bailout costs, not to mind ECB rates riising to 4-5% in the medium term. Long run SVR rates could be 7-10%. Having said that, as so many investors have been badly burnt, and with prices dropping like a stone, I wouldn't be surprised to see long run yields of 7-10% either. As I said, all good for a cash buyer looking for an income. No use for an investor financing through mortgage borrowings. Mind you they're just my views...

Apologies, any discussion of prices above was incidental to the discussion - My main point was in relation to the tax regime and interest rate outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back