BTEA and Grant if going into 2nd year???

M

maturestuden

Hi there, I started a course quite a number of years ago, when i was 18. I finished 1st year after a year of deferrals and then a year of repeats in 2003/2004. Then paid my registration fee and registered for 2nd Year at the start of 2004/2005, but dropped out immediately. Then i went to work, worked for a number of years, but lost my job and started to receive JA about 16months ago. So recently i contacted my uni and they will accept me back onto my original course this year, straight back into 2nd year. However, im wondering if i`ll thus be able to get the BTEA and/or the grant if i do return to my studies. In fact, without those payments, I dont think i could afford to return. Oh, and I`m 26 too. Any ideas???

Hi Maturestuden, It looks as if you would qualify for the BTEA, if you are on a course that is a progression from what you did before. So, if you are going into the second year that should count as progressing. If you were given the BTEA for this same year before then you would have to query this with Social Welfare. Also they would want to know if you have any results from when you were at college before.You would need to contact your local council regarding grant entitlement.

Finally got speaking to the girl in charge of BTEA at the local welfare office, after much to-ing and fro-ing.
Good News...She will accept my application, so now all i gotta do is fill out the paperwork this weekend, register at my uni, and it`ll be all set up.
Plus i have until November 28th to submit my grant application too.
Feeling very happy about going back now.
Thanks for your help Swallows.

Not sure if this is where I should be posting but the thread is somewhat relevant. I am a mature student who deferred for a year due to a family bereavement. I am due to return to college next September. I have just applied for JA. I'm pretty sure I am eligible for BTEA in all areas except the period of time I would be receiving JA. It says I need to be on JA for 312 days. By time I return to college I would not have that amount of days clocked up. If I don't find employment and next September comes around is there any chance at all I may receive BTEA despite not having the 312 days under my belt? I mean if I return to college (which I intend to) and can't support myself, surely they have to help? I have already completed one year of study.

Kanlip, sorry to hear of your bereavement.

Sorry to say but more often than not timeframes are rigidly adhered to when deciding if you are eligible for BTEA. There is no onus on the state to support you if you choose to return to college, they would see it as being your choice to no longer be available for and looking for full time employment. Best bet is to go to your CWO and see if there are any other supports available to you.

I know when a friend of mine asked about BTEA and was about 10 days short of qualifying, he was turned down point blank even though it would have meant he remained on JB anyway, drawing the same amount of money. Bit pointless TBH, at least if he got the BTEA he could have been trying to improve his chances of finding work for the same "cost" as it was to leave him on JB with no future prospects.

Kanlip69, How many days are you short? and how are you counting them, dont add sundays.

Back