Bruges, Antwerp or Ghent

28gingerL

We are in Brussels for four nights in March and planning to go to either Bruges, Antwerp or Ghent for a day trip most likely on the Saturday .......any advices of which would be the best trip to do-- just general sight seeing cultural stuff , maybe have a look in a few shops, and lunch & a few beers!

Many thanks

never been to Antwerp or Ghent but Bruges is nice but can be a bit touristy. I'd recommend some of the boat trips on the canals there

Been to all 3. All nice in their own way. Bruges def top of the list though. Rent a bike and get out and around the area as some lovely flat cycle routes and then back for the obligatory few Belgian beers sitting outside on one of the bars in the square. Really lovely part of the world.

I did a day trip from brussels to ghent and bruges. I would have liked more time in ghent as it was very rushed. Bruges is very touristy in a westport/killarney sort of way. I was expected to fall over at someone making lace and droll about chocolate.

Thrifty12 suggestion of renting a bike and then wander about the square is a good one.

I spent a week in brussels...there is loads to do there without the rush of getting to another area...buy the brussels travel card, fab value...

An twerp is nice for a day trip. Fantastic cathedral there and there are a few nice squares there to sit back and watch the crowds while having a beer!
Must say too that the train station is absolutely amazing, the inside is like no other station I've been to

Antwerp has a fab zoo. And DIAMONDS! Brussels itself though is great. Really no need to go too far. Go to the atonium. It is amazing. Was built for a great exhibition.

Brussels is great and cheap for hairdressing and duvet covers. Not sure why!

Antwerp has some v strange policy about not allowing non residents to buy things. I had to produce my passport to buy a replacement phone charger and a handbag.

Back