Bronte country - Haworth

johnd

My daughgter is mad keen on the Brontes and would like to visit Haworth in the summer. Does anyone know if there are any tours that travel from Dublin to that region.

Many thanks

Closer to home, there is probably some sort of Bronte interpretive centre or something just outside Banbridge, Co. Down - their ancestral homeland.

On the road from Newry to Banbridge there are tourist signs saying "Bronte country" or similar.

I'm heading there in July as part of an organised trip organised by the conference I am attending nearby...I can feed back to you then but I'm sure it's too late.

I am an ex-member of the Bronte society (don't ask!). While this was a few years ago I don't recall there being any kind of organised trip from Dublin but you may find one organised from Leeds/Bradford etc.

I organised my own trip with the family. We flew to Leeds / Bradford, hired a car. Based ourselves in the Marriott Hollins Hall (not as good as it seems in the photos). Whilst in the Bronte Country worth a side trip is the Keighley & Worth Railway - steam hauled and was the one used in the film The Railway Children.

Went there about 15 years ago - your daughter will love it! The house is very interesting and the village if fabulous....

I was in Leeds and I headed off for a sunday visit

I lived near Haworth for several years & can only say that the village & surrounding moors are well worth a visit even if it weren't Bronte Country. There are coach tours from Leeds & Bradford (Wallace Arnold was one I remember) but I would go & stay overnight in the quaint & picturesque village inn where Bramwell did most of his boozing. It has about 6 rooms & does good B&B. Would also endorse a trip on the Keighley Steam train whilst you are there. Another must visit is the old apothecary's shop at the top of the village & on opposite side of street to the vicarage.

Saw an advertisement for this in Sunday Times Travel section.
[broken link removed]

If you contact them they may be running this trip again

5 Days / 4 nights HARROGATE, BRONTE COUNTRY AND YORK

6 April 2009 Monday – 10 April 2009 Friday

Harrogate and Bronte (36 kms)
Harrogate has magnificent Victorian buildings, Colourful banks of flowers, broad tree-lined boulevards and wide open spaces. Reminders of the regal era are the 19th century Royal Pump Room Museum housing the original sulphur well and the Royal Baths Assembly rooms.
York (83 kms)
The beautiful medieval city of York has 2000 years or history in one compact city. With a great deal to offer from the splendid York Minster, the Jorvik Viking Centre, the National Railway Centre, over 30 museums, as well as shopping. Meander through the twisting atmospheric streets, wander the city walls or stop for tea in one of the charming tea rooms.

Haworth (11 kms)
The world of Wuthering Heights is brought alive in the famous village of Haworth, which is surrounded by rugged and brooding Pennine moorland. Haworth Parsonage, now the Bronte Parsonage Museum was home to the literary sisters from 1820 to 1861. It was here that Charlotte wrote ‘Jane Eyre’, Emily created ‘Wuthering Heights’ and Anne penned ‘The Tenant of Wildfell Hall’. Today the museum contains a vast array of Bronte artefacts and is just one of the attractions in the cobbled streets of Haworth
This trip includes
  • Super Deluxe Motorcoach transportation and professional Driver / Guide
  • Ferry crossing Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead RETURN
  • F4 nights stay in the 4 star Ramada Leeds / Bradford or
  • 4 nights stay in the 4 star Ramada Chester Hotel
  • Porterage In / Out (1 suitcase per person)
  • 4 Full English Breakfasts
  • 4 Evening Meals (3 course & tea/coffee)
  • 1 Day trip to York including at Guided Walking Tour with a local guide.
  • 1 Day trip to Haworth including a visit to the Bronte Parsonage Museum
  • 1 Day trip to Harrogate
Price €399 per person Single Supplement €100

Red

Thank you for the information -that sound just what she is looking for - will contact them directly.

Many, many thanks

Back