Broken laptop - where should I get it repaired?

• Thread starter Stephenkelly
  • Start date
S

Stephenkelly

Hi Guys,
I have a HP Pavilion 2000 - Its about three years and was never used hard. It Has stopped working! It wont power on at all. I brought it to PC world yesterday but the dont fix laptops.Can anyone tell me where i could get it fixed, I live in Dublin 15.

Thanks

Re: BROKEN LAPTOP - Where should I get it Repqired

Where ever you get it repaired, it's going to cost you a lot of money.

You might be better off getting buying a new laptop, there's a thread on Dell laptop specials over at boards.ie.

Another option is to try and repair it yourself. If it's completely dead, ie it won't even start into the BIOS, then it's more that likely the CPU or the Mainboard.
Before you begin, go to [broken link removed] and choose your model, and select the Maintenance and Service Guide. This has a flowchart on what to do if your system has no power. It will also give you detailed information on how to disassemble the laptop if you need to replace parts.

Thanks for your help - Would you have any idea how much a repair could cost if it is the motherboard or cpu? I thought this was the problem myself!! It cost me over €2.5k and is still an excellent machine - I cant afford a new lap top at the moment and could justify spending a couple of hundred euro for another years use.

Cheers!!

Will it power on with the power cable plugged in and switched on? Might just be the battery? Is there any sign of life when you attempt to power it up? - any lights, noise, etc.

It's very hard to say, but for parts alone I'd say for the CPU €30 - €60, MB €80 - €120. Labor €50 - €100.

Laptop repair is very expensive. Make sure you get an estimate before you agree anything.

We got our HP repaired at http://www.laser-computers.com/. Had the power jack fixed (a common problem with HPs) and the RAM upgraded. He seemed pretty reasonable, and didn't charge us to quote/evaluate the problem, unlike some!

I have no association other than customer.

Before you go trying to get your laptop fixed there are a few things you can try yourself, I have come across several laptops that won't power on because of something small. Try reseating the RAM, battery and harddisk. The RAM coming loose is always possible and even if it looks like its in properly pop it out and put it in again. Make sure the mains and battery are plugged out and that you have grounded yourself beforehand.

Where ever you get it repaired, it's going to cost you a lot of money.

Surely it depends what's wrong with it.

I had a laptop with similar problems (no power). On one occasion all it required wasa change of fuse in the plug. More recently, having being told in one place that it was kaput, I brought it to another guy who recekoned it might be a build up of static. He removed the battery and rubbed a steel knife against the battery connectors (i.e. the part of the laptop to which the battery connects). PLUG WAS OUT AT THIS STAGE>

This did the trick and it worked immediately.

Don't know whether this will sort you out but it's worth trying before you dump it.

You're one up on me there. I know sod-all about computers. So you reckon it's a memory problem?

I can only recount my own experience. That's what I was told the problem was and I've no reason to doubt the guy. He spent so little time looking at it that he didn't even charge me but I know where to go in future. Another place I went to said it was kaput so you'll understand if I have some faith in this guy.

I don't remember his first name but I'm fairly sure it wasn't Merlin.

BTW, mine was a HP model too.

Folks

Apologies for pigybacking on other STEPHENKELLY's post, but I dropped a four year old Toshiba laptop and since then it is not working. I have a desktop which I bought as the old Toshiba was pretty full with photos and my CD collection etc. It will not turn on now - when I press the power button, it flicks all the lights on, but then absolutely nothing. I want to repair it to get all my photos and that is about it, and it seems like a loose connection or something, but I would not know where to look in terms of repairing it.

So I would ideally like to have it repaired by a professional - is there any place in North Dublin that you can drop it in for repair, and also, how long in people's experience can it take to repair something like this?

Responses most welcome.

response to Alfie :

just take out the harddrive and mount it on your desktop - this will allow you to extract all the data without too much hassle.

you could use this connect up : [broken link removed]

Last edited:
HP laptops can stop workin due to static. It surprised me too until I rang their support line and he got me to take battery out and pres power button for 20 secounds to discharge any.

Static problems around batteries doesn't sound too safe. I've never heard of that before either. Sound more like its flushing some cache or reseting something.

HP laptops can stop workin due to static. It surprised me too until I rang their support line and he got me to take battery out and pres power button for 20 secounds to discharge any.

Ah shucks! And there was I hoping they DID work by magic!

Back