Broken 2 year old TV - who's responsible?

I would expect a longer warranty ifI was going to spend serious money. I wouldn't be happy with any failure, nobody would, i just believe that if you are buying a product and you ask how long is this TV/car etc covered why expect longer?

Interesting logic. So if I decide to treat myself to a top of the line 100k BMW 5 series, I should accept that it is only likely to last 2 years????

You'll be doing very well to find anything other than a 1 year warranty on a TV, even on top of the range models from the premium brands.

Interesting logic. So if I decide to treat myself to a top of the line 100k BMW 5 series, I should accept that it is only likely to last 2 years????

You'll be doing very well to find anything other than a 1 year warranty on a TV, even on top of the range models from the premium brands.
Panasonic 5yr, Pioneer 5yr, Sony 3 yr.
Why have a warranty at all if people are expecting come back 3 yrs after the warranty is finished.

Why have a warranty at all if people are expecting come back 3 yrs after the warranty is finished.

It's comparing apples and oranges, I think. Why does *the company* have a warranty if *people* are expecting to come back after the warranty expires?

Consumers have a right to expect reasonable durability from a product. Whether the manufacturer offers a warranty that matches up with that term is neither here nor there. This is clearly set out in consumer legislation.

The only question is what time period it is reasonable to expect a TV (in this case) to last for. That question cannot be answered solely by looking at what a manufacturer offers. If a manufacturer offered 6-months warranty, a consumer can still come back if it's unreasonable. If a manufacturer offers a 10-year warranty, that would be in addition to the basic consumer rights, if the reasonable duration for that product was e.g. 5 years.

Panasonic's standard warranty on TVs is 1 year. They had a promotion recently that offered 5 year warranties on top of the line Viera models in some stores, but this expired in July '09. Pioneer 5 year warranty was also a limited offer, only applied to 8 models in certain stores, this ended on Dec 31st. Sony 3-year guarantee only applies to certain models as well.

A warranty offers rights above and beyond those required by law, and is a bonus for consumers.

Panasonic's standard warranty on TVs is 1 year. They had a promotion recently that offered 5 year warranties on top of the line Viera models in some stores, but this expired in July '09. Pioneer 5 year warranty was also a limited offer, only applied to 8 models in certain stores, this ended on Dec 31st. Sony 3-year guarantee only applies to certain models as well.

A warranty offers rights above and beyond those required by law, and is a bonus for consumers.
Panasonic 5 Year promo ended at Christmas, but they do it a couple of times a year and it was available on all Pan TV's. AFAIK the same applies to Sony with regard range and their promo is still going.

TV's are supposed to last longer than 12 months and if a manufacturer receives several complaints of a similiar nature then there was obviously something wrong with the TV. Therefore the manufactures are responsible for supplying goods that were not suitable for their purpose and they should be arranging a replacement.

The period of warranty should not make any difference if there is a fault.

If we all went out and bought blah brand that had a 12 month guarantee but it turned out to have a common fault in month 15 or whenever we would still have a claim. Furthermore from my experience (not with a TV) the manufacturer admitted that there was a manufacture fault and replaced our old fridge with a new improved model after a few phone calls and follow up letters.

Bumping this thread up again because I have a similar issue...albeit with a slightly older set.

Have a Samsung LCD TV that's not quite four years old. Cost in 2007 was €2,399 :eek: (we had it at the time, now would be a different matter). Similar problem to the OP, picture is gone, we just have sound. The Google fairy brings up hundreds of pages with the same problem BUT Samsung insist "it's not a known problem".

At that kind of money it's not something I anticipated replacing or repairing after 3.5 years...it was bought in DID, and we purposely opted for a "reputable" brand in the hope of getting a good set.

Have replied to their email refusing to accept that it's not a known problem..is the next stop repair and SCC, or DID, or just pay for the repair and suck it up. A new equivalent set would cost €695 or so (if I had it!)

How much is the repair going to cost ? If it was under 50 quid I would be happy to pay that.

No idea...other threads around the net have said €40-50 inspection fee and then a couple of hundred to fix it, which them brings the issue as to cost effectiveness. I really don't think that's acceptable for a TV that cost so much so recently.

Could the original post tell us what make it is that has a common fault?

I think the price of TV depends on market conditions not quality. My 30 inch Samsung cost over €1,200 2 ½ year ago, a similar TV now cost about €6 to 7 hundred.

The maker with any product always say it's out of the 1 yr warranty, they just said that with my 2 ½ year washing machine when the bearings failed, I would expect it to last a lot longer.

Bumping this thread up again because I have a similar issue...albeit with a slightly older set.

Have a Samsung LCD TV that's not quite four years old. Cost in 2007 was €2,399 :eek: (we had it at the time, now would be a different matter). Similar problem to the OP, picture is gone, we just have sound. The Google fairy brings up hundreds of pages with the same problem BUT Samsung insist "it's not a known problem".

At that kind of money it's not something I anticipated replacing or repairing after 3.5 years...it was bought in DID, and we purposely opted for a "reputable" brand in the hope of getting a good set.

Have replied to their email refusing to accept that it's not a known problem..is the next stop repair and SCC, or DID, or just pay for the repair and suck it up. A new equivalent set would cost €695 or so (if I had it!)

Just because the product is out of manufacturer's warranty doesn't mean you have no comeback. If a product goes wrong inside a time frame that it could have been 'reasonably expected' not to go wrong then you can press for repairs. I can't remember the exact wording but have a look on the citizens information website.

You bought the tv from DID so your contract is with them, the TV is not fit for purpose and as such DID should offer you one of the three Rs, repair, replace or refund. Regardless of whether it is a known problem or not, the tv does not work now so it is up to DID to remedy the situation. Do not let them fob you off!!!

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping/guarantees.html

My LG 37" LCD TV has just started to go belly up too. It's 2.5yrs old and has started to give major problems powering up, dimm picture and no sound - all within the last 2 weeks. I did a quick search on various forums like After Dawn, Fix Ya and there's hundreds of similar issues reported with LG TV's ... a common theme seems to be faulty / bad capacitors.
Ive written to the shop explaining that while I realise the TV is out of "warranty" - the Sales Of Goods Act 1980 "does not stipulate a time limit for the return of faulty goods, it is the consumer's responsibility to act promptly, bearing in mind the cost and expected lifespan or "shelf life" of the product" - as such I don't believe 2.5yrs is an acceptable lifespan for a €600 TV. I have asked if they will accept the TV back and send it for repair.
Im awaiting a reply ...

My LG 37" LCD TV has just started to go belly up too. It's 2.5yrs old and has started to give major problems powering up, dimm picture and no sound - all within the last 2 weeks. I did a quick search on various forums like After Dawn, Fix Ya and there's hundreds of similar issues reported with LG TV's ... a common theme seems to be faulty / bad capacitors.
Ive written to the shop explaining that while I realise the TV is out of "warranty" - the Sales Of Goods Act 1980 "does not stipulate a time limit for the return of faulty goods, it is the consumer's responsibility to act promptly, bearing in mind the cost and expected lifespan or "shelf life" of the product" - as such I don't believe 2.5yrs is an acceptable lifespan for a €600 TV. I have asked if they will accept the TV back and send it for repair.
Im awaiting a reply ...

I had a similar problme last year although the tv wasnot outside the warranty-I did have a lot of trouble getting it sorted as firstky they fixed it and it broke again and I dint want it fixed again as it was obviously faulty - at the end of the day I took my claim to the small claims court for €15 and received my money back .So if all elsefails maybe go down this route. Best of luck

^ Thanks - The shop agreed straight away to accept it back and have the LG Service Technicians examine it. Im now awaiting their report and see what happens next. Hopefull it gets fixed and I don't have to go back and forth with fault / repair / fault / repair ... etc.

Alas - to good to be true ... the shop contacted me today to say the Service Technician has confirmed the power supply is blown and repair will be €150. I declined repair. Looks like I'll have to argue my case that 2.5yrs is not an acceptable lifespan for a €600 TV.

My local Panasonic dealer (English Midlands) has had a five year warranty on Viera TV's for the last four years, which is when I bought ours. The five year warranties are still on offer on these TV's.

Alas - to good to be true ... the shop contacted me today to say the Service Technician has confirmed the power supply is blown and repair will be €150. I declined repair. Looks like I'll have to argue my case that 2.5yrs is not an acceptable lifespan for a €600 TV.

Emailed my "case" to the shop's HQ , no response after 5 days. Looks like I'll take my broken TV back from them and go the Small Claims Court route.

Emailed my "case" to the shop's HQ , no response after 5 days. Looks like I'll take my broken TV back from them and go the Small Claims Court route.

Best of Luck - let us know how you get on. When I went to them they dealt with the matter very quickly

Back