Broke student - Any advice on pawn shops, flogging goods etc

Danielle24

Hi guys,

I've just recently started college part time and I work full time and live out on my own. So money is really tight this month, i've borrowed some money towards my fees but had to pay some myself. Anyways money is tight this month as you can imagine. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I could get money without having to borrow, I have dressed in my wardrobe with tags still on, still have my debs dress, could sell these maybe, what abaout pawn shops are they a bad idea? I've jewellery i've never even worn.

Have you thought of selling on ebay? I have no experience of it myself but obviously millions have!

Agree on ebay. Never used pawn shops but I get the impression they know youre in a jam and hence can offer you rubbish prices.

Danielle you could put stuff up on donedeal.ie I have used it before and found it good. €3 for the ad. No connection just have sold things on it.
BTW I remember your earlier thread, http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=134009 so you obviously decided to go back to college, good luck with it.
Another option is to bring your things to a car boot sale to try sell them.

Thanks guys i'm already on adverts and nothing much happening. Thanks fizzelina i'm delighted I decided to go back, I knocked about 6k off my debt since that thread so things are looking good :D

Careful with eBay.

I have been a registered user for about 10yrs, and the last 2 or so haven't used it much.

the fees are too high and the place is coming down with scammers. I sold a couple of things a few years back, and the buyers did nothing but complain and claimed their money back from PayPal when nothing wrong with the items.

I now use local free ads. Best option imho.

Pawn shops do not actually buy items but give out secured loans, the security being the item you deposit with them. They value the item and offer a loan of some percentage of that value. They charge quite high interest rates too and can sell the security item if the loan is not redeemed within the period (usually 4 months iirc).

Doesn't sound like a solution for you.

Sybil

Hi Danielle you could get rid of any old gold jewellery that you have.There is an Irish crowd www.forgottengold.com that are based in Galway I think.I got rid of 2 old rings,and two old chains,one of which was broken.After two days I got a cheque for 130 euro.They were very quick and efficient.

Net64

Have a look around your local jewellers. I have noticed a few with signs in windows offering to buy unwanted gold. If you dont agree on a price, you still have your items rather than posting them off.

Selling locally vs eBay if you can. Take the time to take decent digital images and scour the web for sales info. For eBay checking out the bidder and their reputation will ensure a higher success rate. Noticed lately sellers are making money on shipping and packaging.

Hi guys,

I've just recently started college part time and I work full time and live out on my own. So money is really tight this month, i've borrowed some money towards my fees but had to pay some myself. Anyways money is tight this month as you can imagine. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I could get money without having to borrow, I have dressed in my wardrobe with tags still on, still have my debs dress, could sell these maybe, what abaout pawn shops are they a bad idea? I've jewellery i've never even worn.

Purchasing dresses and never wearing them and purchasing jewellery and not wearing it is very frivolous indeed.
I cannot imagine a pawn shop paying you anywhere near what you originally paid for them.
Have you thought have having a wine evening or similar in your house where people might purchase your items. Others could also bring along some items for the same reason.

Hi Daniella,

If you choose to sell the jewelry - remember most jewelers will buy your gold off you and you would get a fair price. I have not heard good things about the online selling of gold (I think it was cashforgold)..

Also would you consider a second job?
P..

In fairness, I have unworn Jewellery, but it was all gifts (from exes :D). Come to think of it, it might make a few bob towards the Ipad I'm saving up for!:D

Purchasing dresses and never wearing them and purchasing jewellery and not wearing it is very frivolous indeed.
In light of the fact that the OP has been receiving enough finger wagging in previous posts, we all buy things we never wear!! I used to be a sales daemon and am after decluttering my wardrobe and giving 3 jackets to VDP that have never been worn!!!

Have you thought have having a wine evening or similar in your house where people might purchase your items. Others could also bring along some items for the same reason.
That is not a bad suggestion at all.. you could also look at setting up a stall in a local market - a couple I know sell stuff in Blackrock market, there is a fee though..
P..

I made a good few quid selling clothes, DVDs, CDs etc in the Dublin Flea Market (last Sunday of every month). Women's clothes seem to be particularly popular. http://dublinflea.blogspot.com/

If not in Dublin, there are a lot of car boot sales throughout the country. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much money I made. Good luck!

Did you not like them?

What the exes? Well I did at the time, but since we're talking twenty years ago and I've been married 14 years I don't really have any sentimental attachment to the jewellery any more. Its also out of date and not my style any more. I'd certainly rather have an Ipad.:D

Hi Danielle,

Could you ask your employer for a small raise or perhaps work an extra hour or two?

Anthony.

Back