Bringing money to the U.K

crunchie84

Hi guys,
I hope someone can answer my question. Im moving to the U.K in 6 weeks to start a new job. I want to know the best way to bring my money over. I do not currently have a bank account in the U.K but will be opening one on arrival. I don't want to carry much cash with me for safety reasons.
Is it best to leave my money in my account in Ireland until i can transfer to over? It it possible to electronically transfer?
Thanks in advance to anyone that replies

One of the biggest problems we found was that most banks would not open an account without a utility bill of your new Uk address. As my daughter was renting this was a problem
However we found Barclays bank very very good. They opened one up straight away. You need passport, your new address in the Uk with full post code and bring along your contract or emplaoyment. You also need your last 3 months bsnk statements.

I was helping my daughter to move so she put her savings into my Ulster bank account before she went and I transferred the lot through Ulster bank, it was there that aafternoon and fee was 12 euro. You can do it cheaper using IBAN for 51c but she needed the money quickly.

If you have online banking you should be able to a transfer yourself while in the UK and Barclays give you online banking too. ATM cards and pin numbers arrived in 2/3 days

Thanks for the reply Irishmoss. It's good to know that you can transfer through online banking. Can you transfer if you're transferring to a different bank though? I'm with AIB here.
Also do you happen to know is there a fee if doing it through online banking?
Thanks

Quickstartuk open bank accounts in London. Open same day you arrivein their office, easy to transfer over

firstdirect.com (online and telephone division of HSBC) are great.
If you phone them up they will help set up an account. They will send you a letter to your address (so confirming you live there) and call you at your work landline (confirming you work there).

They have very good current accounts. I have never incurred a fee with them!

Get the bank account with quick start, book your exchange rate with Transfermate, then when you arrive in the uk you know exactly what you're getting in advance.

Back