Bringing animals back into Ireland

Shelleyb

Hi,

I'm considering secretarial work in Caymen Islands and want to bring my cat. There is no problem bringing animals into Caymen Islands but I have heard there may be a problem returning with your pet to Ireland - I've been told they may have to go into quarantine - does anyone offhand have any information on this please? Or where I would find info?

Thank you
Michelle

Well I know between Ireland and the UK there is no problem because there is no rabies risk to speak of. (I brought a dog between the UK and Ireland in January of this year). I would assume your cat may have to be quarantined, innoculated, it may be a lot of trauma for your cat.

Friends of ours took a 'gap' year in Canada and returned in August. They took their pedigree dog with them and she came back into the country without any delay for quarantine or any other reason.

Try this site out.

http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/importrulesforqualifyingcountries/

We used Lissenhall when we took a cat back from Asia. I'm not sure there is anywhere else. Costs a bit and you have to use specified transport to get the animal there. I also believe if you set up your own quarantine facility that is signed off you can do it. You need to get specific shots and a pet passport. Dept of Agriculture should be able to advise.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your replies and links. According to Citizen's Advice Cayman is one of the 'qualifying non-european countries' that you can bring your pet in and out of without quarantine but I would have to stay out of ireland for at least six months (and if it didn't work out over there, I'd be in a spot of trouble). However, I am also concerned about the length of the flight for a cat and the change of environment. I have to think seriously about this job as he was a rescued cat and had a very traumatic start in life.

What we do for our beloved animals. We may have to stick out this recession together....
S

Back