Brilliant win for Ireland over England

18 - 10 at Cheltenham
All those horses must be very proud to be Irish...

I'm still not quite sure what the jockey does. If a greyhound can manage to run around a track without a jockey could a horse not be trained to do the same thing, without all that extra weight and stuff?

What a win , what a squad and what a performance by a fantastic team . And what about the under 20s , fantastic. Bring on the World Cup....
An all Ireland game that we are world class at. Maybe all those people who went to private schools are better than the rest of us after all.

All those horses must be very proud to be Irish...

I'm still not quite sure what the jockey does. If a greyhound can manage to run around a track without a jockey could a horse not be trained to do the same thing, without all that extra weight and stuff?
Ah now, Purple. Watch a replay of the Gold Cup. The favourite, Gallopin de Champs, was plum last of 13 at stages of the race before, with impeccable timing, it jumped the last in second place and used its preserved stamina to power up the hill and win - magic. With all due respect to the animal, it just wouldn't have the gumption to do that on its own. GdC is Irish owned, Irish trained and Irish ridden but as the name might suggest he was born where they eat snails and frogs' legs.
As for jockeys on greyhounds can you imagine the woke outcry if we trained 3 year olds to be grockies? - those poor wee doggies being made to carry that burden.

There seems to be a lot of controversy about a refereeing incident in the rugby match.

So, from following this thread, my opinion is that it was very unfair that the referee allowed the Irish team to compete on horseback in the second half at the Aviva. Was that it?

And it was an Irish / English combination that won dancing with the stars last night...

Deeply impressed by the strength-in-depth the Irish squad has constructed under the current and previous coaching staff but I've got to say that Farrell's appointment of Paulie to the forwards coaching role was a stroke of genius. Despite being smaller than three or four of the first-line nations and having one of their set-piece platforms taken away on Saturday, they still found ways to confound and defeat the opposition. Sheehan and his hooker deputy van der Flier were magnificent. Not one of your traditional "mini-teams" on the park, they were incredible. Their quick thinking in pressure situations and execution are beyond compare I believe.

Their "hooker-as-winger/first centre" and "back-row as out-half/hooker" is stuff we need going to a world cup. Seniors in key positions not fit? No bother we have an able selection of back-up talent coming through from the U20s two-in-a-row, three-from-five pool of talent. Impressive Ireland streets ahead of England in that contest too. Apart from the fully deserved red card they got, the English captain/second-row gave a petulant, ungentlemanly display and I was proud our lads didn't sink to his level.

Well done all, wives, partners, children, cousins, babysitters, and the other "nameless and invisible to the fans" supports the players rely on. Great to see them as part of the celebrations!

Deeply impressed by the strength-in-depth the Irish squad has constructed under the current and previous coaching staff but I've got to say that Farrell's appointment of Paulie to the forwards coaching role was a stroke of genius. Despite being smaller than three or four of the first-line nations and having one of their set-piece platforms taken away on Saturday, they still found ways to confound and defeat the opposition. Sheehan and his hooker deputy van der Flier were magnificent. Not one of your traditional "mini-teams" on the park, they were incredible. Their quick thinking in pressure situations and execution are beyond compare I believe.

Their "hooker-as-winger/first centre" and "back-row as out-half/hooker" is stuff we need going to a world cup. Seniors in key positions not fit? No bother we have an able selection of back-up talent coming through from the U20s two-in-a-row, three-from-five pool of talent. Impressive Ireland streets ahead of England in that contest too. Apart from the fully deserved red card they got, the English captain/second-row gave a petulant, ungentlemanly display and I was proud our lads didn't sink to his level.

Well done all, wives, partners, children, cousins, babysitters, and the other "nameless and invisible to the fans" supports the players rely on. Great to see them as part of the celebrations!
I recon that we have four or five players who are arguably the best in their position in the world. Doris, Sheehan, Van Der Flier, Ringrose, Furlong and Keenan are all world class.

I didn't know that RTE has copied another UK television format. Were the "Stars" anyone most people had ever heard of?
You do know Shane Byrne , im sure. Stephanie Roche, Radio presenter Karl Mullen who won , Brooke Scullion , Dr Maria Cassidy to name some.....You, been a star on this forum might consider it for next season..... dancing I mean..

You do know Shane Byrne , im sure. Stephanie Roche, Radio presenter Karl Mullen who won , Brooke Scullion , Dr Maria Cassidy to name some.....You, been a star on this forum might consider it for next season..... dancing I mean..
I've heard of Shane Byrne, though calling him a star is a fair stretch. I've a vague idea who Stephanie Roche is. I don't recall hearing of the others.

I've heard of Shane Byrne, though calling him a star is a fair stretch. I've a vague idea who Stephanie Roche is. I don't recall hearing of the others.
From that we can deduce you're not a Eurovision fan, murderer, or murder victim.

12 of the starting 15 on Saturday were from Leinster. Leinster have been so strong in European rugby for the last number of years. So I think Leo Cullen and the Leinster machine deserve a lot of praise.

12 of the starting 15 on Saturday were from Leinster. Leinster have been so strong in European rugby for the last number of years. So I think Leo Cullen and the Leinster machine deserve a lot of praise.
I'm guessing such club familiarity is an advantage for the international team... I think the other international teams would pull from a spread of clubs.

Their attacking lines are certainly very Leinster like.

Last edited:
Back