Brides of Franc

tallpaul

Did anyone just see this programme on RTE 1?? €35,000 the spent for one day of which her parents gave them €20K and they put the rest onto their mortgage!!! Effectively paying for the wedding day for the next 25 years AND he was apparently a bank manager. A pefect example of financial acumen...

Did anyone just see this programme on RTE 1?? €35000 the spent for one day of which her parents gave them €20K and they put the rest onto their mortgage!!! Effectively paying for the wedding day for the next 25 years AND he was apparently a bank manager. A pefect example of financial acumen...

Thought it was mad to spend that much money on one day. However, I did think that Franc certainly stretched their money and gave them real bang for their buck. I have been to weddings that have cost this much money and they have been very mundane, ordinary and not very special. I think that Franc really knows where to spend the money to acheive a "Wow" factor - and rightly so given the amount of money being spent!

Presumably the 35K doesn't include Franc's fee? He really managed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear though. Thought the bride should have taken his advice on her hair.

Ah Cahir - i liked the skirt but the bodice was tacky IMO.

The car let them down - not in keeping with the theme there Franc....

I wonder how many of the guests wanted to be out there watching fireworks and would have prefered to be in at the bar.

A wedding at a castle should have had enough atmosphere without all those trappings and for me it was all a bit too vulger.

I thought the bride's dream that Franc was ill and couldn't arrange the wedding, so sent Eddie Hobbs in his his place was hilarious.

35000 is not that bad at the moment to tell the truth. I thought Franc would not work for less than 60 grand

35000 is not that bad at the moment to tell the truth. I thought Franc would not work for less than 60 grand

According to the papers this series is about budget weddings (35K is apparently a budget wedding!!!), he waives his usual 15K fee for the program. He said himself for the hogwarts theme, he called in every favour he could and what should have cost over 100K if you paid market prices, he got it done for 35K. Which is a bit of a sham because you or I couldnt replicate that without his insider contacts and discounts.

Anyway, I thought it looked good but wouldnt want it for my wedding!

I find this programme fascinating......amazing what people will spend on one day and for what?

So that people can say afterwards how tacky it was and how they had better craic at other weddings costing a fraction.

I simply cannot imagine asking my family and friends to carry broomsticks into the wedding reception!
Hilarious.

According to the papers this series is about budget weddings (35K is apparently a budget wedding!!!), he waives his usual 15K fee for the program. He said himself for the hogwarts theme, he called in every favour he could and what should have cost over 100K if you paid market prices, he got it done for 35K. Which is a bit of a sham because you or I couldnt replicate that without his insider contacts and discounts.

yeah I love the way he kept going on about 35k being so little to spend on wedding , most normal joe soaps wouldnt have that kind of money to spend on a wedding an dquite frankly I think it is an awful waste especially when he was talking about spending 6k on flowers and candles. Scandalous.

> 35K is apparently a budget wedding!!!

Holy Moly! I could have gotten married 4 times for that.
Considering where I'm living I still might. :eek:

-Rd

this is fine if you can afford it all and you're marrying Jlo or somebody. But I'm sure there are many people watching this on very average incomes who suddenly feel obliged to go for all the trappings. It's probably all bunged onto the mortgage then to be paid off over 20-30 years.

It's all very nouveau riche and while I've no real interest in it, and have only seen the programme while flicking around channels I find the consequences of it all a bit disgusting frankly.

Concur Arthur.

All this "fussiness" for nothing, sure people want to relax and enjoy it. I know I dont pay much attention to the finer details at weddings. Its no wonder the bride and groom on the show can hardly relax when everything is so stage managed they're nearly afraid they'll miss a step or fluff their lines.

Pure waste of money.

But I'm sure there are many people watching this on very average incomes who suddenly feel obliged to go for all the trappings. It's probably all bunged onto the mortgage then to be paid off over 20-30 years.

TV company's could make shows about how stupid people are to get wrapped up in consumerism and materialism etc. But how do you think the advertisers would feel about that?

I used to think shows like this were a bad thing for exactly the reason you describe...it creates the new "Normal" so people feel obliged to do the same themselves.

I think differently now. Quite frankly anyone who allows themselves to get sucked into this kind of nonsense needs their head examined, and the more money they waste the better, because the squandered money is their punishment for being either too stupid or too weak willed to say enough is enough. Money has a habit of hanging around with people who deserve to have it.

It's exactly the same phenomenon that we hear every year about the money spent on Communions. Some complain about these trappings because it puts pressure on them to do the same. That pressure only exists if on some level you want to give in to it.

I'll admit it can be tough to explain to a 7 year old that they can't have a horse drawn carriage for their communion, like little Annie Jones down the road. But even a 7 year old can grasp the concepts of stupidity and valgarity.

Perhaps if more people raised their 7 year olds to understand why they shouldn't have a horse drawn carriage for their communion, we might have less people having "budget" weddings that cost 35K.

Bring it on I say....here's to budget weddings costing 100K. The sensible people can still have sensible weddings that are more fun, more memorable, and more classy.

If you think Eddie Hobbs shows are entertaining now wait till the "New Rich" have squandered all the equity in their houses and have no way to clear the credit card bills.

Long Live Stupidity! Don't have sympathy for these people, they are weak and stupid and were put here for no other reason than for your amusement.

-Rd

I thought the whole thing was priceless - I dont know if anyone noticed but there was like a hole cut in the wall with a gold frame around it, and somebody dressed up sitting in the frame. The person was bowing down and pointing the guests into the room. It was probably the most stupid thing I have ever seen.

How could someone hand you a broomstick going into a wedding. I could just imagine it being used as a weapon and someone getting crowned with it!! Brilliant.

Some people have more borrowings than sense.

I thought the whole thing was priceless - I dont know if anyone noticed but there was like a hole cut in the wall with a gold frame around it, and somebody dressed up sitting in the frame. The person was bowing down and pointing the guests into the room. It was probably the most stupid thing I have ever seen.

How could someone hand you a broomstick going into a wedding. I could just imagine it being used as a weapon and someone getting crowned with it!! Brilliant.

Some people have more borrowings than sense.

I thought it was brilliant...the theme was Harry Potter so I suppose the picture in the frame came alive. Would I have a wedding like that.....absolutely not, nor would I condone spending that kind of money. However, I thought Franc did a great job in giving the bride exactly what SHE wanted.

I did not think she knew at all what she wanted. She just kept saying she wanted "wow"!

I thought the whole thing was pure nonsense. If you look at the website for Franc you will see the photos of the Bride and Groom holding thir broomsticks!

Felt sorry for the poor guy!

> Felt sorry for the poor guy!

I didn't see the show, but I wouldn't really feel sorry for someone who's other half was going crazy like this. If they are miles apart on whether or not it's ok to blow ridiculous amounts of money on a novelty wedding, then maybe that's a sign that there shouldn't be a wedding.

If the guy thought this was a load of rubbish and a waste of money then he should have put his foot down, not allow his wedding to become a tv spectical.

No sympathy for the weak and stupid, even if they are weak and stupid by proxy.

-Rd

I dont think he was dead against it, I think it kind of just took off and he went along with it to give girl what she wanted, even though he honestly would have preferred it a little toned down. He looked very awkward standing there with his broomstick in hand posing for photos. Imagine going into to him for a mortgage/loan. Hi Mr. Bank Manager, you looked great posing with your broomstick on RTE last night. I'd say he got some ribbing.

What I did notice however, is that she became all emotional and teary eyed at the sight of the dining room all decked out but did not appear to shed a tear walking down the aisle to meet her future husband. Maybe she did, and we were not shown that bit, and she was portrayed as a very materialistic Bridezilla.

Well the bank manager didn't do too badly. Her parents gave 20K towards the wedding. The bride had some idea of what she wanted as she asked Franc to reproduce Hogwart. She didn't come across as a materialistic Bridezilla to me, just someone who wanted a memorable, special day. I saw a few of those Bridezilla tv programs..........they left your woman in the halfpenny stakes.

Back