Brexit 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
What they need to realise is that the quality of the production line, i.e. the design, in-process quality checks, standard of the robots etc, is more important than the country the line is in or the nationality of the people running the line.

If that's the case why are there no car production lines in Ireland ?
But you are right.
I suppose that's why Dell shipped their computer production line to Eastern Europe.

Last edited:
If that's the case why are there no car production lines in Ireland ?
Ehhh export costs might make that a hugely unattractive business to invest in! Wahaay there are none so blind as those who refuse to see but are you seriously listing McLaren as a car manufacturer? Have you popped down to your local McLaren dealer to enquire about trading in your Mini Cooper for the latest McLaren hatchback? You've made some bold statements on this thread, none of which tbh I can take credibly.
As others have already said, we here in this little island desperately want and need this exit to work well for the UK. It's in our best interest. But you need to take a step back from wainge the Union Jack here, it's way too early for either side to be claiming anything just yet.

Ehhh export costs might make that a hugely unattractive business to invest in! Wahaay there are none so blind as those who refuse to see but are you seriously listing McLaren as a car manufacturer? Have you popped down to your local McLaren dealer to enquire about trading in your Mini Cooper for the latest McLaren hatchback? You've made some bold statements on this thread, none of which tbh I can take credibly.
As others have already said, we here in this little island desperately want and need this exit to work well for the UK. It's in our best interest. But you need to take a step back from wainge the Union Jack here, it's way too early for either side to be claiming anything just yet.

How are the export costs different from the UK ? Both are islands off the mainland of Europe and both countries are in the single market and customs area.
If,as a previous poster maintains,it doesn't matter where you site your production line then Ireland with its much lower Corporation Tax,should be an obvious candidate.

Of course Ireland has an illustrious history of making things... perhaps someone on here could take a pen to the back of a postage stamp and furnish me with a list.
I'll start the ball rolling.
Clonakilty Pudding.

We still don't have the moniker "A nation of shopkeepers" attached to us though!

Really ?
Ever heard of McClaren ? They win the occasional race here and there.
Globalisation means car companies all over the world are owned by foreign companies.
But in terms of what motor vehicles are actually manufactured in Britain you might be surprised.And now that sterling is back to a reasonable level it's one reason why the UK's exports are booming.
Which helps secure the jobs of some of those Irish people who have been forced to emigrate to the UK because their own government has failed them.
Per head of population there are more British people in Ireland than Irish people in Britain.

Of course Ireland has an illustrious history of making things... perhaps someone on here could take a pen to the back of a postage stamp and furnish me with a list.
I'll start the ball rolling.
Clonakilty Pudding.
Pharma and Medical Devices.
Our per-capita manufacturing output is much higher than the UK's.

How are the export costs different from the UK ? Both are islands off the mainland of Europe and both countries are in the single market and customs area.
If,as a previous poster maintains,it doesn't matter where you site your production line then Ireland with its much lower Corporation Tax,should be an obvious candidate.

Cars are big, bulky and heavy and therefore more costly to export. Would it not therefore make sense to build them close to where most of them will be sold?

Glad to be of help.
I do think if you're going to malign someone you should at least have the courtesy to get their name correct.

Maybe if I thought of him as someone important or more importantly if I thought what he was saying was important I might have!

Cars are big, bulky and heavy and therefore more costly to export. Would it not therefore make sense to build them close to where most of them will be sold?

But what about all the cars imported into Ireland ? Their manufacturers still have the same transport costs.

That's because many of your most popular shops are either British ( Debenhams,Tesco ) or German ( Aldi,Lidl ).

Interesting what the German supermarket are doing to the UK ones here (the Irish owned supermarkets are retaining market share).

But what about all the cars imported into Ireland ? Their manufacturers still have the same transport costs.

It's a much smaller amount of cars moving across the water than would be moved if they were built here...

Maybe if I thought of him as someone important or more importantly if I thought what he was saying was important I might have!

Presumably the producers of Prime Time thought he was important enough to have an opinion ...

I agree that both are islands off the coast of the mainland but Britain is a far bigger country with a far bigger population and much shorter transport links to the mainland. It also has a great tradition of engineering and manufacturing and so the very costly infrastructure is in place to service heavier industries. I just don't think it's credible to suggest that it can get back to its 1950's place in the world. That ship has sailed and you can thank your Trade Unions for destroying your manufacturing sector. It's an utter shame that such a great heritage was squandered but to blame the EU is to look in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back