Breathalyser in France - new law

fuliz

I saw on one of the carhire sites that a driver in France has to carry breathalyser in car from July 1st.

I saw in the Sunday Times at the weekend that this will not be enforced until November 1, 2012. By which time, I am quite sure that it will be possible to purchase the required item on ferries, at airports, and in fact over the counter in any major outlet in France. They cost approx €18 at the moment, this will come down as the enforcement date nears.

I would be interested to know what happens in the case of someone who does not drink alcohol...pioneer..taken the "pledge"/against ones religion etc. If you don't drink at all..ever...should/would you be fined for not carrying one...

Yes, you will be fined. The fine is 11 Euro at the moment. People are advised to carry 2 breathalysers with them, as if you are stopped and breathalised and then continue to drive, you will have used up the only one...

They are for sale in garages, supermarkets, everywhere.

is this just a way of police saving money then by making the public carry their own?...next they will be asking us to provide our own handcuffs...

is this just a way of police saving money then by making the public carry their own?...next they will be asking us to provide our own handcuffs...

It's a way of making money, just like the law that was passed a couple of years ago where everybody in the car had to have their own reflective jacket, and it couldn't be in the boot, it had to be in the main part of the car.

eh - no, it's not actually the police saving money, there's a huge scandal here about it. The law decreeing that a breathalyser kit has to be carried in the car was brought in during the Sarcozy government, apparently on the basis of advise from a road safety group called i-test. The president of i-test just happens to be head of training at Contralco, one of only two companies who make such kits to the French Norme standard. How much the Interior minister was bribed to push the law through is really the question that is being asked.

I saw in the Sunday Times at the weekend that this will not be enforced until November 1, 2012. By which time, I am quite sure that it will be possible to purchase the required item on ferries, at airports, and in fact over the counter in any major outlet in France. They cost approx €18 at the moment, this will come down as the enforcement date nears.

Apparently they're a lot cheaper

As from this year, it becomes obligatory for all vehicles (including motorbikes) driving in France to carry a breathalyzer or alcohol-level test. Originally scheduled for 30th March, the law will come into force on 1st July since suppliers could not provide enough breathalyzer kits by March. From November there will be a 11 € fine for not having one in the car. In fact, best carry two of them, so that if one gets used, you still have one.
Single-use certified breathalyzers are now becoming available in supermarkets, chemists and garages throughout France, at a cost of about 1 €uro each. So the cost is minimal. Multi-use breathalyzers costing up to 50 € are a waste of money, except for incorrigible drinkers, since the likelihood of getting stopped for a breath test is very low. Once in ten years, maybe, for a driver living in France.
Contrary to information posted on some sites, the new law (Decree no 2012-284) does not oblige drivers to self-test after having a drink. But those who plan to self-test to be on the safe side should have at least two breathalyzers in the car, if not more.

From this site
http://about-france.com/travel.htm

Back