Breaking Lease - 4 months to go

droileen

I have a lease on a studio apartment that expires in January 2011 but I must break the lease next week. Any idea - am I liable for 1 months rent
in lieu of notice or 4 months rent ? or is it at the discretion of the Landlord ?

If you tell the landlord you wish to reassign the lease andhe refuses then you can break it without financial penalty. He does not have a say on who you reassign the lease to.

@Maynooth, you may be partially correct, but it all depends on what's specified in the lease itself (break clause / no break clause, rights of re-assignment, acceptability of prospective new tenant to landlord, etc.) I don't believe it's a case of "one size fits all".

OP read your lease and if in doubt maybe contact [broken link removed]

Are you even answering the OPs question? The OP wants to walk away and wants to know if they will get away with losing a months rent or 4.

Hopefully the lanlord has protected himself by charging you a month in advance AND a security deposit. If you break the lease you are entitled to neither.

Sometimes a lanlord out of the goodness of his heart will listen to you and if you give him plenty of notice - he may be agreeable to replacing you. I have done this, but maybe im not like most. I dont know - not worth the hassle, worry and stress in my opinion to keep whats not mine.

Talk to your landlord as early as possible and try and help him to replace you as quickly as possible. If you get into difficulty - this will also help protect you if you take a case witht the PRTB. If you start down the road of what the lease says and what threshold says etcf... you are on a loser right away. Landlords are people too.

Back