Breakaway with a baby

Magoo

As first time parents, we're becoming increasingly aware of the limitaions of trvaeeling and going on holidays.

Has anyone any suggestions on where to go for a weekend break (with an eight week-old baby in tow) - either in Ireland or abroad.

I'm conscious that other hotel users wouldn't necessarily appreciate the nocturnal outburst of a hungry baby but all of he self-catering options I've explored seem to cater only for week-long breaks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Harbour Mill in Westport offer self-catering for mid-week or any days you choose. We had a great break there last September, when we were blessed with shorts/t-shirts weather.

The Irish Landmark Trust have some excellent self-catering properties to rent by the weekend/week. The locations (lighthouses, castles, basically anything that was a former ruin) may be a bit remote for some tastes, but if you get good weather the walks are fantastic; if you get bad weather, watching a sea storm rage while you curl up by the fire is pretty impressive, too.

Abroad, you might try an apartment in Amsterdam. The flight there is only about 90 minutes and traveling from Schiphol Airport is one of the easiest airport-to-city runs going.

J.

Why discount hotels? Even 8-week old babies don't cry all the time, and hotels are reasonably soundproof. Small babies are so portable! I have stayed in hotels with small babies and it was never a problem.
D.

I would agree with the last poster ... go while the baby is little if you are feeling up to it. We have travelled extensively with our two children since they were born ... and I can honestly say at 8 weeks babies do little more than sleep and feed. You don't have to worry about them wandering off on their own to the local disco! I'm sure if the hotel know you are travelling with a small baby they will give you a room that won't disturb other guests. Enjoy your break.

Me too. I don't know when exactly you can or want to travel, but my own experience is that travelling with very young infants is in many ways a lot easier, cheaper and stress-free than when they get a bit older. It's the 2-16 age group that causes all the trouble...! ;)

That said, if you want to be able to heat a bottle etc. in the middle of the night, there's no point in me recommending a bargain-bin accommodation solution. It's worth spending a bit more for a 'nice' hotel/guesthouse, in those circumstances.

Ireland has become such a rip-off in recent times that - if I were in your shoes - I'd look seriously a some kind of long weekend/city break abroad. You'll get better value, see somewhere new, and - at the end of the day - driving to the airport and jumping on a 'plane can be less stressful than than driving across Ireland. Check out the likes of Ryanair, euJet, eBookers, lastminute.com, etc.

If you do end up flying, or otherwise leaving the car behind, I'd urge you to travel as light as you possibly can. Over the years, we've had lovely weekend breaks with the 'babby' in Paris/Amsterdam/Venice, etc. and managed fine without the full-Monty Mothercare tank-style buggy (replaced by one of those mini-papoose things).

Good luck!

Many thanks for all the replies folks.

It seems we should move fast (i.e. before the bay starts to move himself).

So these are the easy times compared with later years??? God help us!!

Back