Boundary issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

roberth

To create more privacy in my back garden, I attached a fence to my side of boundary wall , completely at my own expense.
A few months later my Neighbour painted the side facing his property.
This was done without my permission and also with a product unknown to me.
I accept I don’t see the side facing his property, but feel he has established a right over this as I haven’t objected to him.
Where do I stand and what are my rights etc.

To create more privacy in my back garden, I attached a fence to my side of boundary wall , completely at my own expense.
A few months later my Neighbour painted the side facing his property.
This was done without my permission and also with a product unknown to me.
I accept I don’t see the side facing his property, but feel he has established a right over this as I haven’t objected to him.
Where do I stand and what are my rights etc.

i done something not so long ago similar , fitted a picket type wooden panel inside the existing boundary wall in a house ive ( now ) rented to a local authority as the wall looked ugly and it was literally not straight , the neighbours have ( as yet ) not done anything similar but its an interesting story to me , id have thought a fence like that is not a fixed structure in the way a concrete wall is so this might prevent any sort of redefining of boundaries ?

What did you expect him to do. If he has something now facing his house that he might not like the look of. Maybe he should have contacted you and got you to pay for the paint and do it. Did you consult him before you out up the fence? I think you are making a mountain out of a mohill and you created the issue in the first place by the sounds of things.

firstly it's your property and it's on your private property. They had no legal right to touch it, however, there is a limit you can fence to and they may have had course to ask you to lower it in height. Rather than get all legal I would find a way to chat with them about it. They may have felt it was too dark and imposing and so brightening it up for their visual effect.

What did you expect him to do. If he has something now facing his house that he might not like the look of. Maybe he should have contacted you and got you to pay for the paint and do it. Did you consult him before you out up the fence? I think you are making a mountain out of a mohill and you created the issue in the first place by the sounds of things.

personally i would not mind if someone painted their side of the fence but the OP did not need to request permission as he fastened the fence to the inside of the boundary wall , not like he encroached

firstly it's your property and it's on your private property. They had no legal right to touch it, however, there is a limit you can fence to and they may have had course to ask you to lower it in height. Rather than get all legal I would find a way to chat with them about it. They may have felt it was too dark and imposing and so brightening it up for their visual effect.

There are no mountains in Mohill.

So your question is "What can I do about something that has no material impact on me, and that is visually no different than it was before?"

I think what you really need to do is forget about fences and lawsuits and instead build a better relationship with your neighbours. If you had done so in the first place, you wouldn't be asking this question here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back