Bothered by the weather ?

It's weather for growing grass. Lots of silage this year, hurray!

Except you can't actually get out to cut it. Our front grass was almost at our knees last week until Himself saw a break in the weather that actually coincided with him being home and he ran to get the mower out.

I think someone must have been reading this thread and decided to give us a break. It's sunny and warm here today, with just a slight breeze.

Never heard of silage?

Come here and I'll explain the difference between hay and straw ;)

In all my years I don't remember a May as miserable as this one. Its constantly cold, windy and damp. DEPRESSING!
All the effort I've put into the Garden in April seems wasted as the plants have a very poor growth rate.
The only way is up!
Here's to a better June!

Many moons ago we had etiquette classes at school and one of the many useful nuggets of information received was to remember that soft rain is good for the complexion and as teatime says, "embrace it" and stand tall.

Not sure about the driving wind though - must have been asleep for that part of the lecture.;)

Marion

Cheeky sod micmclo! Thanks cashier... ma eyes have been opened!

One of my fondest childhood memories is getting up in the dead of night in the cold winter nights and having to go out to the stalls at 3am to tend to cows having their calves and the first thing that would hit me as I opened the doors was the wonderful aroma of silage. It was so lovely and cosy inside the stall with all those cows lying down on hay and chewing the cud, ah sure those were the days, lovely memories though!:)

But even on cold nights it's warm up in the sheds. Cattle gave off great heat.

The cows were gas, they are so structured, the oldest goes first. They have their own little hierarchy and they know their place.
They respect their elders :cool:

Sure our sheepdog used to sleep up on the straw in the sheds.
With all the cattle and then the sheep during lambing season, it's warmer up in the sheds then in his kennel

Woah, going offtopic :)

But even on cold nights it's warm up in the sheds. Cattle gave off great heat.

The cows were gas, they are so structured, the oldest goes first. They have their own little hierarchy and they know their place.
They respect their elders :cool:

Sure our sheepdog used to sleep up on the straw in the sheds.
With all the cattle and then the sheep during lambing season, it's warmer up in the sheds then in his kennel

Woah, going offtopic :)

yeah sometimes the stalls were warmer than the dwelling house, it was our sanctuary in those cold bitter days of long ago:)

Now what was this thread about again!

My Iris flowers that have just bloomed have all fallen over, almost flat on the ground. My long awaited Poppies have lost all their petals. I managed about an hour of gardening yesterday. No such luck today from what I can see from my window this morning. Maybe I should have gone to Slane and tried the grass there.

One of my fondest childhood memories is getting up in the dead of night in the cold winter nights and having to go out to the stalls at 3am to tend to cows having their calves and the first thing that would hit me as I opened the doors was the wonderful aroma of silage. It was so lovely and cosy inside the stall with all those cows lying down on hay and chewing the cud, ah sure those were the days, lovely memories though!:)

So there's an upside to being a culchie ? :D... it's ok I'm leavin now before i get thrown out !:p

You're going nowhere horusd.
You've promised us your silage
You can have my silage BTW!

So how many acres have you? Good drainage? Good grass growth?
How are the nitrogen levels? :D

And do you use 10:10:20?

Lol, you can cut me silage with a lawnmower and I only ever use 10:10:20.;) Way off topic now, but I always remember the farming adverts for fluke worms drenches and mealy bugssprays and other lovely things to hear just as I was havin ma brekkie. Put me right off. And I actually picked up one of those bloodsuckin things out hiking thro fields once. Ugh!

Last edited:
Ah leeches, they'll do you no harm. RTE used to show a swim along a trench in a bog and the poor swimmers would be covered in leeches when they got out. It was that show with Derek Mooney. Echo Island maybe?

They attach themselves until they've had their fill of your blood

And now we're even more offtopic :)

Last night I heard the Met Eireann forecast include those lovely words 'Azores High moving our way' & 'warm easterlies'.

All in time for next weekend.

:)

Back