Both Ryanair & Aer Lingus flights have become very expensive. Alternatives?

IsleOfMan

Having travelled with both Ryanair and Aer Lingus from Dublin for many years I now find that both of their flight prices have become very expensive. Looking at places that I want to travel to in 2016 I am not getting much change out of €300 return for two people and depending on the month, day of the week, and time I fly I can end up paying considerably more than this.

Last year I was getting similar flights for below €200 and in previous years I was getting these for below €100.

Both are having sales with lots of advertising but as someone who travels a fair bit with these I notice that these so called sales are not really sales at all.

Has anyone used other airlines out of Dublin that might fly direct to the popular destinations in Europe? I prefer the DIY holiday to those organised packages from travel agents.

I have previously used Alitalia and they were a nightmare from a payment/customer service perspective. I use Skyscanner.ie and choose according to the results on there. Has to be said Aer Lingus and Ryanair do dominate the schedules out of Dublin, except for flights to USA for which BA and Virgin are very competitive. Agree with you on the 'sales', from AL perspective anyway. I am looking at a Northern European destination for later this year and I can't believe how cheap Ryanair is to it.

There's not going to be much cheaper out of Dublin. Along with SkyScanner, try matrix.itasoftware.com which offers some more options.

Also bear in mind especially with Ryanair you tend to get better deals if you book your flights around six to seven weeks before you due to depart.

I looked up Aer Lingus for this yesterday from Dublin and there were options for under 100 Euro per person available to England, Italy, Portugal off the top of my head. As long as you are flexible of course.

Certainly the popular destinations in the months leading to summer have become quite expensive. As you hit late June, July and August they have become very expensive.
Certainly you might have a wet weekend in Birmingham in February for less if you fancy that type of thing.

Ryanair had a 20% off sale recently. The 20% off offers were very limited. Michael O'Leary keeps saying that with the oil price reduction, prices will come down. Certainly not for the flights I am presently looking at. If anything they are getting more expensive. I was looking at the already high price of €87 to a popular destination. In the sale this was reduced to €79. After the sale it is €102.
At € 87 it was already too expensive.

Ryanair had a 20% off sale recently. The 20% off offers were very limited. Michael O'Leary keeps saying that with the oil price reduction, prices will come down. Certainly not for the flights I am presently looking at. If anything they are getting more expensive. I was looking at the already high price of €87 to a popular destination. In the sale this was reduced to €79. After the sale it is €102.
At € 87 it was already too expensive.
As with all airlines, for cheap seats you gotta book in advance. Well in advance.

SAS are really good. Its very easy to transfer in copenhagen. Journey times will be longer of course but worth considering.

Back