boss is a bully...:s

jillyb

hi there

I'll try and keep this as short as possible.
My boss is a total bully.I've barely managed to stay working there for the last 3 yrs as it was part time work.

All the previous employees in my role left under the same circumstances and the last one took a bullying/harassment case against him and won.

Its a small business, with only myself, the owner (bully) and his brother who is co owner.No HR dept or anything.

Up to a few months ago there was another girl working there too and she couldn't take it anymore & left. Also the accountant who I worked closely with had a disagreement with him & also left.

A new book keeper has started working with me who is great but even she is starting to find hard to work with him already.He's gotten worse -blaming me for stuff that has been in place since before I started and even deducted my wages last week because of it.

He nit picks at every little thing, you can't do anything right. Have to make a note of everything or else he will deny etc. Feel like you've to watch your back at all times.

I took this week off as holidays as couldn't face going in. Don't know what to do, I can't afford to quit but the thoughts of going back in next week are making me feel ill.

any advice??

If at all possible, can you change jobs? Given that the company is so small, he probably isn't going to change. If you feel bad now, you will feel worse and worse if you stay there. It will be hard to change, situations like this suck all the hope and selfconfidence out of you, but if you don't go it will get even worse.

Best of luck.

+ 1 -- it's sole destroying to be in this situation

put yourself first and get out.

Lots of us have been there and, in my experience, the only thing you'll regret is that you didn't leave sooner.

Thanks for the replies!

If at all possible, can you change jobs? Given that the company is so small, he probably isn't going to change. If you feel bad now, you will feel worse and worse if you stay there. It will be hard to change, situations like this suck all the hope and selfonfidence out of you, but if you don't go it will get even worse.

Best of luck.

Yay my boyfriend just found out after I posted that my boyfriend got a job in Dublin :) it doesn't start for another month though so we will be move just after that.(see how he's getting on there)

So no point me leaving and looking for something around here as I will be starting to look for something in dub.
So might have to stick it out for another month or so :s

Was tempted to go out on stress leave til then but not sure if that'd be the best thing to do if I need a reference etc??I have no contract or anything so how long notice would I need to give?

Everyone I know just says get out of there but might be easier to get a job from a job! not sure tho.

Least this makes it easier knowing I will be moving to a place with more job possibilities :)

It is against the law for him to make deductions from your wages without your concent. You should contact the LRC and ask about lodging a claim against him even if you do leave the job - it costs nothing to do.

You would think he would have copped on by now if he cant get staff to remain in the job but obviously not. You just need to stand up for yourself and not accept inappropriate behaviour - he can only sack you and then you take a case for unfair dismissals against him. Keep a note of everything.

www.citizensinformation.ie provides detailed info under the heading " Bullying in the workplace "

The reality is that you have nothing to lose by lodging a complaint by following the guidelines provided.

I agree that your best option is to move on but I would certainly consider making a complaint before doing so - after all based on the info provided by you your employer is at fault & should be reported.

The reality is that nobody will sanction the employer for bullying. The legislation is all guidelines and no teeth.

On the other hand, illegal deductions from wages, discrimination, unfair dismissal etc do break specific laws so they are worth pursuing.

The reality is that nobody will sanction the employer for bullying. The legislation is all guidelines and no teeth.

On the other hand, illegal deductions from wages, discrimination, unfair dismissal etc do break specific laws so they are worth pursuing.

I must disagree , the legislation includes options to refer cases of alleged bullying to the LRC & the Rights Commisioner.

Indeed substantial awards have been made where cases of bullying have been proved.

Stand up to the bully and then leave. Your self esteem will thank you for it. Job or no job it is not worth it. Please take it from some one who knows.

Back