bord gas 400e deposit

eco

hi

just bought a house and bord gais want 400euro deposit from us. i have been tolf that if you get a guarntor (sp) who is a homeowner you dont have to pay it

can anyone confirm this for me

Ya same happened to me. I offered to pay by dd and no requirement for 400e. Try that.

i dont trust dd had too much hassle with it in the past. will a guarntor be enough does anyone know, it will be my partners parents who will be our gurantoors, both early 50s , their morgage is paid off and they have their own business

Ya that should work, BG may ask your partners parents for permission for a credit check. (ICB)

Last edited:
What a disgrace they are. I am so glad I don't have to deal with them again.

So grown up adults need a guarantor? Its a joke.

Is the guarantee secured against their property?!!

What a disgrace they are. I am so glad I don't have to deal with them again.

So grown up adults need a guarantor? Its a joke.

Is the guarantee secured against their property?!!

I don't see the problem here. Grown up adults have a nasty habit ( as evidenced repeatedly on this board) of walking away from their responsibilities. What is so wrong with requiring them to have a guarantor?

mf

I think the deposit is only required for a certain period of time after which it is refunded or you could go the DD route.

You have to pay the deposit regardless of whether paying your bill by DD or not but it drops to €200 if paying with DD!
If you have 14 month unbroken payment record with them at a previous address then it's waived altogether.
I had a 12 month unbroken payment record at a previous address, a gap of one year and a further 12 months at another and they wouldnt waive it because there wasnt 14 consecutive months!!! Madness!

I just have had experience of this renting a place. They were looknig for e200 regardless of direct debit. I rang them back and played dumb saying the site doesn't say that. They said because I was renting I had to pay but I just said 'renting? no I own the place'. No deposit, no questions.

There is no hassle with direct debit nowadays. You have a right to cancel and recoup claims.

what maddens me with bord gais is if you remain a customer for years you never get the deposit back so its a money making idea on their behalf. I have been a customer for years I rent but have used the same account in various properties and I pay by direct debit. So basically if I never change from gas and never close my account I will never get my deposit back so its free money for them. You would think after someone has been a customer for X number of years and paid on time by direct debit then the deposit should be returned, they have proven themselves trustworthy

I got my €200 back from them after setting up a DD and paying for about a year. There was no problem getting it back - just a phonecall. btw I am a homeowner don't know if that made any difference.

The deposit is a securty requirement as requested by other utilities i.e. ESB / Airtricity / Flogas. Blame the (as one poster said) 'grown up adults' who dont pay their bills.

So its 200 euro to set up your gas account ? I plan to sign up to DD anyway will they waive it ?

Do ESB look for the same ? If so i'll just get my elec through BG I think !!

Back