Bord Gais Service - Problem with Boiler Since

scallan

Hi i have a Baxi Wall mounted boiler & had recently serviced. I booked service on line through Bord Gais Website. The boiler i have you can set for Central Heating or Water Heating or both. Since the service was carried out i notice that if the Water only is set to come on the Central Heating also comes on.
I spoke with Service engineer & he starting talking techically stating that the thermostat must be turned down or the Central Heating will come on. My point to him was it never happened before & why now. Off he went on saw chat that of technical jargon.

Anyone know if you have the boiler set to water only that the central heating doesnt come on?

I wot be paying for the service on my bill until i find out whats right or wrong.

any advice on boilers would be appreciated!!

In a ideal world the way your heating system would work is firstly programmer comes on for heat, which sends a call for heat to the room thermostat, this will only allow the call signal to pass if the room is colder than the temperature you have set on the room stat,if it's calling for heat then it would go to a motorized valve which will open to allow the flow of water and pass the call signal onto the boiler allowing to fire.
The first thing to try is the room stat (if you have one fitted) to see if it has any control over the heat to the rads, if you turn it down and there is still heat going to the rads then the motorized valve is stuck in the open position allowing the heated water destined for the cylinder to pass into the heating circuit, if you find the rads stop getting hot after you turn down the room stat then it would suggest there is still a call for heat coming from the programmer.
If you don't have a room stat then still check your motorized valve which is normally found in the hot press but it could be anywhere (you will see a picture of one on any good heating suppliers web site), you are checking to see if any heat is passing the valve and to see if the little arm which is normally on the side is not in the manually over ride position, which if it is will not allow the valve to switch off, good luck, Gary.

everything Gary says is spot on. although I can't imagine why the service man would have effected it. The motorised valve is a valve with a motor that turns it off/on. It will be on a pipe and it will have a box on it, silver/red/yellow top. there is a little arm on the side of the box, you may have to run your fingers around it to find it. when you find the lever, If its in the manual position it will be in a groove . gentley push down to release it. it should then make a whirring noise and move across the valve, Its default position is off. Make sure heating is off when you do this.
If you feel like you can't do it, you are quite within your rights to get your serviceman back to rectify problem.
Good luck!

The Bord Gais engineer only services the actual gas boiler. He does not do any work on the water system pipes and controls etc. in the rest of the house. You would have to get someone else to check the plumbing.

Hi gary, once i do turn room stats down then the heat does stop going to the radiators. Do you think it may just be the timer programmer on the wall?
Its just it never seemed to happen before when the rooms stats were hi or low

Check your programmer is in the off position for heating, if it is then try turning the hot water to the off position, then do your room stat test again, if you find your heating stays off then the programmer may cross wired. As it's a hot day if you are testing make sure your room stat is clicking on or it could get very confusing, good luck, Gary.

Back