Bookkeeping From Home

S

ShaneOS

Hi

I am looking to start working from home, My father passed away about 4 years ago and i never managed to complete my chartered accountancy studies. But with the immediate arrival of my first child i feel the urge to complete these exams.

I have over nine years accounts experience from working in practice to financial controller of several companies. I wish to work from home to give myself enough time to concentrate on baby & studies.

I think i need to get in with a small auditing firm who have more work than they can fulfill but do not know how to approach this.

I would appreciate any advice on this matter as i know i cannot manage all this and work full time.

Regards

Shane

Hi Shane,

I regret to say that it is my understand that few firms if any have more work than they can handle. No doubt you will have heard of the redundancies the larger firms have made. I am aware that the smaller firms are in similiar position is not recruiting, not renewing contracts and cutting their intake.

Furthermore, you will find that the level of competion to be very high.

What I suggest you do is try to meet with all of the firms in your locality and ask the question. Contact as many of your friends/college friends/work colleagues and let them know where you are at and see what comes of it.

Well you're thinking outside the box but I don't think you're going to get far with this. I agree with jack. The accountancy firms are struggling to provide work for their staff. I only have one employee and if she's still in a job this time next year, I'll be patting myself on the back.

I know you say you'll be providing book-keeping services but be careful about being seen to be offering services which constitute public practice because if you plan to complete your studies, you could get a serious wrap on the knuckles from your professional institute given that you don't have a practising certificate.....

Speaking as a parent, you may get away with it for a few months, but as your child grows older you will need full time childcare if you want to work full time hours. You would be better off to continue working (I'm assuming you are working at the moment) and do your exams before considering working from home. Being in paid employment is usefull for things like paid holidays, paid sick leave etc. It's also quite easy (if expensive) to get an infant/toddler looked after, but it gets a lot more complicated when they start school.

Best of luck with child and work!!!

Back