Booing of civil servants and bankers at hotel

Status
Not open for further replies.

liaconn

I heard two stories yesterday which disturbed me:

A group of civil servants (mainly junior and middle grade) recently attended a Christmas Party Night at a city centre hotel. As always, the night out was funded totally by themselves, no taxpayers money was involved. During the meal, the compere announced and greeted all of the companies attending by name. When he announed the name of the Government Department, all of the other tables (private companies) booed them loudly, completely ruining their night and causing terrible upset. A lot of these civil servants were clerical workers and this was the only night out they were having over the Christmas period.

A friend's sister works for one of the banks. A gang of her colleagues (junior and middle grade) were going for a few Christmas drinks after work one evening (at their own expense.) They were warned by their managers not to say they worked in the bank, because of the reaction from the media if they saw a gang of bank workers enjoying a few drinks together at Christmas. Apparently other bank staff have also received this message and some have been told not to drink in local pubs where they might be recognised by customers.

Is there not something vindictive about this kind of behaviour, and are the wrong people not getting blamed?

Re: Booing of civil servants at hotel

Its really not fair, some people feel that because "they pay your wages" they have the right to abuse public servants. I hope the people that did the booing have a good hard look at them selfs.

There is no excuse for stuff like that. Unfortunately there are idiots everywhere. I haven't told a taxi driver I work in a bank when they ask for about 10 years!

When he announed the name of the Government Department, all of the other tables (private companies) booed them loudly, completely ruining their night and causing terrible upset

Perhaps it was the government department that was getting booed and not the people individually. Can't see people having much love for a lot of government departments.

Every one has the right to voice their opinion. We may not agree what is being said but as long as it is done in a non-abusive, non-threatening way, I don't see the problem. Anyway, perhaps it was in jest and not sinister. If it was threatening behaviour then I would have a big problem with it.

I was at a local chamber event as guest of a bank three years ago. When the bank table was introduced we got booed and jeered. But that was only a slagging.

Bank staff friends of mine have told me that they are going out in smaller groups for a few Christmas pints. But that's nothing new really. Bank staff have always taken guff when out. I have seen people come up and verbally abuse bank staff in my company because they are behind on loan payments, didn't get an increase on the credit card, got charged too much (in their opinion) for currency exchanges etc. etc. If you work in a bank you can expect all sorts annoying you when you go out.

Perhaps it was the government department that was getting booed and not the people individually. Can't see people having much love for a lot of government departments.

Every one has the right to voice their opinion.

I disagree. If people have paid, themselves, for a night out with their colelagues then they are entitled to not be booed by a group of strangers. If people have a problem with the Government Department, then there are other ways to express this. In my view it was rude and ignorant and I presume most private sector workers would not want to be associated with this type of behaviour?

Every one has the right to voice their opinion. We may not agree what is being said but as long as it is done in a non-abusive, non-threatening way, I don't see the problem. .

I think booing is very abusive and is not on.

I agree it's not civil and I certainly wouldn't boo anyone. I'd prefer if it didn't go on. I don't condone it but I understand where frustration comes from. People have been told to "shut up". People have been told that the government will be taken down. As a result, many will take out that frustration when they get a chance.

It's ignorant and childish, in my opinion.

It reflects far worse on the booers than the people they are trying to boo (who are not even there)

This did not just start this year. I heard of a Christmas party last year where the civil servants who won a prize were booed going up for it.

I went out with my colleagues for a Christmas party, we changed the name of our Department to something else in case we got the same treatment. I also heard where the Principal Officer also changed the name of the Unit that he was attending with due to this as well.

I agree with the poster that the attitude that where "they pay their wages" allows them to think that they can abuse people is the rationale behind this but I think this extends to beyond the Xmas party scene. I have already stated on another thread where myself and Mrs Boris were out for a drink one night and the barman started giving us grief over being civil servants (and he started it!).

I think that this boils down to basic bullying.

There is no excuse for stuff like that. Unfortunately there are idiots everywhere. I haven't told a taxi driver I work in a bank when they ask for about 10 years!

A few years ago the owner of a local hotel was fined by the HSE over the state of his kitchens. He rang the CEO to tell him we demanded free drink on the basis that we worked for the HSE.

Ever since any work night out was booked under a named individual.

It would be interesting to know how many of the booers voted repeatedly for FF over the last decade.

How do you come to that conclusion. Anyway, my point is that they're booing the wrong people. Go and boo at the politicians, not some Clerical Officer processing forms or manning a reception desk.

How do you come to that conclusion.

I seem to remember more than one pubic sector worker on this site stating that traditionally, public servants have by and large voted FF.

But in general I agree with you - disgraceful boorish behaviour.

Only a matter of time before we start stoning them :p

I am a retired bank person and when checking deaths in the newspaper i quickly scan down the columns to see words like (ex B/I or AIB). I recently missed the death of a colleague and mentioned to a friend that the death notice made no reference to the bank he worked in. I was told that this custom is no longer used. Sad

I am a retired bank person and when checking deaths in the newspaper i quickly scan down the columns to see words like (ex B/I or AIB). I recently missed the death of a colleague and mentioned to a friend that the death notice made no reference to the bank he worked in. I was told that this custom is no longer used. Sad

As an aside, an uncle of mine is a retired bank branch manager who predicted the current crash three years ago as all lending rules and protocols and referrals to credit committees were abandoned in the directors' relentless pursuit of profits and dividend delivery. It motivated two other mutual acquaintences to divest their property portfolios at the top of the market. One of them invested in commodities instead, one of which was Gold that she purchased at about 600 an oz - now > 1000 an oz! Greed and materialistic one upmanship has ruined this country.

With regard to public servants, yes they have had substantial pay cuts and I can empathize. However, myself and some of my peers in our early 50s are redundant. To make matters worse, I got a letter yesterday saying that my deferred pension of 30 years contributions and drastic refunding measures would be taken in 2010! Our AVCs have also been wiped out by over 31% and we have been advised they will not recover in time.

I totally empathize with Public Servants and ordinairy bank officials and public humiliation is totally out of order, but, I hope the above helps to put a bit of perspective on your stresses. A job is still better than 204 Euro per week dole and your pensions are gold dust.

I am married to a public servant - a nurse! We have clerical officers, gardai and firemen in the family. Let's all stick together and pursue the real culprits as the US would. Dividing the public and private sectors works in favour of those culprits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back