Boiler pressure dropping

Elginelf

I've had a new gloworm gas boiler installed recently. The problem is that the pressure drops on it over about a 10 day period from 1.1bar to 0.4 bar. Each time it drops I turn the valve and let the pressure back up to around the 1bar. I have had the builder who installed it back and he said he had made and adjustment so that it 'mains filled' just before Christmas. I understood this would rectify the problem. However, when I returned from being away over Christmas the boiler had again dropped to 0.4 and cut itself off (as it's supposed to do when this happens, according to instructions). I'm just lucky there was no frost. I will get the builder back again but I would appreciate if someone could advise me on what I should be asking him to do, as I really don't understand the problem. Thanks!

Personally i would think you have a leak in the system or a loose fitting as if the pressure ia dropping like that it has to be escaping out of the system

I'd say the system must be leaking somewhere if the pressure continues to fall after being repressurised.
Must be a leaky joint somewhere in the system unless you have underfloor heating installed as a pipe may have been damaged?

Had the same problem for years started losing pressure over about a week until at the end it was losing pressure every day.I was sure I had a leak. Eventually I got a plumber who knew what they were doing. He explained I had no back pressure in the system and the water was draining from the boiler when not in use. He literally got an air pump (large bicycle pump) and pressurized some chambers in the system with air. No leaks and no spare parts needed.That is about 12 months ago now and system has never failed since.

Thanks for the responses. It's possible there's a leak or at the least a loose connections because the whole system has more or less been replaced, new rads, etc. recently. It would be great if the solution your plumber used worked - Col what part of the country are you in - I might need to get the details of that plumber from you?

Do you have a NON return pressurse valve fitted fom the feed coming into the system if not get the builder to fit one,that way when system is off th pressure will not drop.

Elginelf The plumber was one of the guys Bord Gais use to service gas boilers. Your regular plumber generally would not be familiar with the way these gas systems operate. As far as I can recall he pumped air into two chambers, one in the gas boiler and one in a large oval shaped attachment which is connected to the immersion tank.

Back