BOI Overdraft

killarneyguy

I have an overdraft facility of 350€ on my Bank of Ireland current account for years now..near the end of the month i nearly always use most if not all of the overdraft before next months wages are put in..
Funny thing is I dont seem to be charged for this facility by BOI,I have trawled through my bank statements and cant find any charges related to this?
Surely this cant be right as there mut be some hidden or other charge for this I am missing?
Any1 got any ideas Id prefer not to ring BOI as if i do they might start charging me for it?

I will check that on my bank statement when i get home..It definetly was opened as a student account,dont remember changing it..but surely BOI would have converted it aumtomatically?If it is a student account should i just say nothing and use it away or would there be any benefit to me to convert it to some other type of account?

I have heard of a few people that still have student accounts-I'm not sure how the bank 'catch' people out. Whether you tell them or not is up to to you-I don't see any benefit in having a 'regular' account.

you can also get a free o/d of e320 with Ulster Bank on a U First package ..if you get any hassles !

I have a current account with BOI that was originally a student account with free banking. I think when you turn 25 it automatically reverts to a normal credit account with the associated fees.

Students & Golden Year customers do not pay the €25 O/D facility fee with BOI.

A student a/c will not automatically be upgraded to a regular a/c unless notified & updated by the student. As a Graduate you still get another 2yrs free banking plus preferential rates on loans.

Normally these a/c's get updated when the customer requests a loan, higher O/D facility or higher limit on Cr Card. Student limits for these services are kept at a rather low limit.

Hope this has clarified for you.

I remember when I opened my student account the advisor asked me what I was studying...thinking on my feet I said medicine. Free banking for 10 years!

This happened to me aswell! For years my account was always in overdraft and I paid no fees just like yourself. A couple of months ago I started getting worried thinking I'm going to get caught out soon and the bank are going to start looking for back payments! This would have been alot of money as it had been going on for years - I don't think my account was ever in credit - always overdrawn up to €800.

Anyway I decided to ring my branch and the guy on the phone told me that my account was still a student account and for some reason had never been switched to a standard account. He said they would have eventually realised it, that they will be looking for no back payments and he thanked me for my honesty!!

Back