BOI Free Banking

jonny330

Could someone please clarify something for me.... To avail of free banking with BOI (for each quarter) you can either make 3 payments on 365online or keep over €500 in your current account at all times. Is paying off small amounts of your credit card on 365online every so often considered a payment? Also, my fees this quarter came to €50. If I had paid lets say €1 to my credit card on 3 different occasions would this €50 have been cleared?

Sorry if my question seems silly but I don't understand the T&Cs of the offer. Why can't they keep things simple like the other banks?!

Does anyone know if online transfers (eg from BOI current account to RaboDirect savings account) are regarded as "payments" by BOI in order to qualify for free banking? Is it ok to make three of these per quarter (assuming no other online or 365 phone payments) and still qualify for free banking?

T & C's just say 3 payments. Not sure why this seems so difficult to do seeing as you can pay ESB, Eircom, NTL, Gas, Cr Cards or do transfers to other a/c's.

Certainly well worth it if your last fees were over €50

T & C's just say 3 payments. Not sure why this seems so difficult to do seeing as you can pay ESB, Eircom, NTL, Gas, Cr Cards or do transfers to other a/c's.
I pay all my bills using Direct Debit at this is the easiest way for me to pay for them. Unfortunately Direct Debits are not considered payments to qualify for BOI free banking, as they are neither online nor telephone payments. So I was just wondering if online transfers are considered "payments" by BOI to qualify for free banking. In particular online transfers to RaboDirect. On my bank statement DD appears after the transaction. So I'm not sure if these online payments made by me are in fact Direct Debits. Anyone know for sure?

If DD appears on the statement then it's a Direct Debit.
I'm pretty sure that's the system with Rabodirect. You sign a mandate giving them permission to debit your a/c, therefore you do not initiate the transfer, they do.

Does anyone know if online transfers (eg from BOI current account to RaboDirect savings account) are regarded as "payments" by BOI in order to qualify for free banking?

Wehn I asked in BOI, I was told that online transfers are regarded as payments.

Online transfers do count as payments, but online transfers show up as online transfers & not DD's.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong ) that Tenacious is doing the online request with Rabodirect & that they (Rabodirect ) are taking it from his a/c by DD. He would have signed a form at some stage allowing them to do this.

I asked BOI and they said it wasn't a payment!

I was told about 4 months ago when the "free banking" started that they were. I made more than three online transfers in the last quarter and was not charged any fees. Perhaps you should ask in the bank again.

Its very simple really, log onto your 365online, request a payment of any amount from your account to any other account.
Do this three times in a quarter and hey presto, no fees.
For example my credit card due payment for last month was 100euro.
I paid 40,40,20, one after another.Thats it, all done. two mins

Back