BoI Change Free Banking Conditions Again (November 2012)

...it will take the benefit out of availing of the contactless technology that is being rolled out
The benefit for us, that is...

I'll be looking at my own usage too, to see if I can reasonably keep it to 30 transactions/month. In my case it'll mean shifting as much as possible onto the credit card and cutting down on ATM withdrawals, say, taking out €100+ at a time instead of just what I need for the day (i.e. going against all the old-fashioned "thrift" habits my mother drummed into me! :eek:)

Or you could switch to UB or PTSB.....taking out €100 every time for the sake of it sucks. Youll just spend it

I left UB years ago because of dire customer service. To this day Mrs M and I still receive quarterly zero-balance statements in the post (by separate cover) for accounts that we tried to close (in writing, twice), this despite several phone calls and assurances. I just gave up, and now shred the statements when they arrive.

They were having "problems with their systems" back in 2006, too.

PTSB it shall be, I guess.

DR Moriatty,
think of it that you can now switch to UB with Ease.
as you have accounts setup, it will be quicker for you,
all you need to do is ring branch and order debit cards and online banking and you are up and running again with free banking.

I must say great forward thinking from UB.

Can anyone confirm exactly what BOI mean by "Transactions"? Is it absolutley everything that comes into or out of my account? Or could a transaction be, for example, change my pin number at an ATM?

The reason I ask is that when BOI originally changed from free banking to "the 9 transactions model" I was charged once, as certain things, (ATM withdrawls i think) weren't considered transaction.

So I want to be sure this time that if I going to go with the flat rate per quarter, I know exactly what "transactions" are.

Many thanks
Wollran

Transactions are every item that goes in and out of your account, be they DD's, SO's, online transfers, ATM withdrawals, Credit Transfers, your wages, online credits. Every item on your statement is a transaction.

Changing your pin number does not count.

Thanks for the kind words.

Ulster Bank will, no doubt, determine their current account fees closer to July 2013. Ulster Bank, will want to be competitive versus AIB and BoI as Ulster Bank don't have dominant market status. This means offering slightly better T&C's that AIB and BoI. Hence, I would guess that they will give free banking if you keep at least 1,500 EUR or perhaps 2,000 EUR in your account. Just a guess.

No bother, they are hard earned - particularly on internet forums!

As of yesterday afternoon I am an Ulster Bank customer and they are handling the switch and closing the B of I current account - and all thanks to this thread!!

Tried to switch to UB online there....while doing the application it made me search for my address. Got error "Service is temporarily unavailable" blah blah blah, not really filling me with confidence :rolleyes:

Tried to switch to UB online there....while doing the application it made me search for my address. Got error "Service is temporarily unavailable" blah blah blah, not really filling me with confidence :rolleyes:

It wont suit everyone but I poped into a branch, took the id documents with me and she had it all done in minutes; seemed to be well used to it.

Yeah but my point is if the online account registering isnt working, what chance is there that everything else is.....

Well done pator for making the move rather than like most of us winge,complain and take no course of action.

DR Moriatty,
think of it that you can now switch to UB with Ease.
as you have accounts setup, it will be quicker for you,
all you need to do is ring branch and order debit cards and online banking and you are up and running again with free banking.

I must say great forward thinking from UB.
My other problem with UB is that they have only one branch in Limerick (in O'Connell St., where the nearest available parking is usually a block or two away).

PTSB have four, including two right beside my place of work and my home.

I obviously avoid going into branches as far as possible, but sometimes you need to, and having to negotiate city traffic and pay for parking would just add to the pain.

My other problem with UB is that they have only one branch in Limerick (in O'Connell St., where the nearest available parking is usually a block or two away).

PTSB have four, including two right beside my place of work and my home.

I obviously avoid going into branches as far as possible, but sometimes you need to, and having to negotiate city traffic and pay for parking would just add to the pain.

They (Ulster) also have a branch in Castletroy,
and one in the Cresent Shoping centre.
(also one out in UL but parking out there is hard to get)

*not trying to sell Ulster, only been a customer a day, just giving locations so the dscussion is accurate.

I thought the one in the Crescent closed?
It doen't show up on their [broken link removed].
Castletroy is miles away from me, unfortunately.

[Edit: whoops, thank you pator, I see the Crescent branch now! :eek:]

Scroll down to number 3 there on the link in your post.
IIRC its on the "city mall" the one with carphone warehouse/ebs/subway

Last edited:
Well done pator for making the move rather than like most of us winge,complain and take no course of action.

Thanks Theresa,

Ya, I reckon its one of those things that complaining aint going to get us anywhere; so may as well take action.
I would suspect they are relying on a certain amount of customer inertia - of course I have no evidence to back that up.

In fairness Ciaran and the bestbuys thread made it easy as I didnt have to spend time researching the options.

Over 60's Free Banking

Is this likely to survive or not, think there is only one bank doing it, is it ptsb!!

is it worth changing from BoI to UB only to have to review the situation in July 2013, saving around €34.20?? (3 quarters from Nov, €11.40 x3)

I know every cent counts these days but UB could bring in similar fees in July 2013, or look to reduce number of current account customers as per Sunday Business Post Article by brining in higher fees.

It would then be a case of switiching back to AIB or BoI

Back