BOI ATM-only cards will no longer work in AIB ATMs - Debit cards ok.

QED

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/thousands-of-boi-cards-wont-work-in-aib-atms-29976204.html

" It follows AIB's move to begin processing financial card transactions through international schemes.
As Bank of Ireland ATM-only cards are not internationally branded, they won't work through the foreign clearing houses, AIB say."

This is awkward for me because one of the few ATMs left locally is AIB. There is a significant move away from withdrawing cash from ATMs but sometimes you just need cash and it can be very difficult to get.

Many ATMs have been removed in the past few years, and the ones that are left often run out of cash, particularly at weekends. This usually means that I buy something in an over-priced convenience shop to get cash-back.

Another problem is the lack of any smaller denominations than €50 available in many ATMs.

EDIT - Only saw this now ----
"All Bank of Ireland and other banks' debits cards that are internationally branded debit cards will continue to operate at our ATMs as normal."

"... As Bank of Ireland ATM-only cards are not internationally branded, they won't work through the foreign clearing houses, AIB say."
I read this and was thinking it was strange as my BOI card works in Germany so therefore it must be internationally branded. It was only when I saw your edit...
EDIT - Only saw this now ----
"All Bank of Ireland and other banks' debits cards that are internationally branded debit cards will continue to operate at our ATMs as normal."
...that I re-read the first quote and noticed it was ATM-only cards. Funny how I've gotten so used to having a combined ATM/debit card I forgot an ATM-only card even still existed.

Another problem is the lack of any smaller denominations than €50 available in many ATMs.
Believe it or not, one of the items in my "pro" column when deciding whether to move back to Germany or not was the fact that if you take out 50 euro from an ATM, you'll most likely get a 20, two 10s and two 5s. Or at least 20s and 10s. :)

What absolutely infuriates me at ATM's is when the machine asks what amount you wish to withdraw, and even gives various options €20, €40, €90 etc., it then comes back with a message that it can't give that amount and to enter another amount!!

How hard is it to program the machine so that it knows it only has €50 notes and therefore can't give out €20, €40, €90 etc??? Of course, it is symptomatic of the customer service attitude of financial institutions...

What absolutely infuriates me at ATM's is when the machine asks what amount you wish to withdraw, and even gives various options €20, €40, €90 etc., it then comes back with a message that it can't give that amount and to enter another amount!!

How hard is it to program the machine so that it knows it only has €50 notes and therefore can't give out €20, €40, €90 etc??? Of course, it is symptomatic of the customer service attitude of financial institutions...

+1

I think some Ulster Bank and PTSB ATMs handle this slightly better. UB ATMs apologise as soon as you put your card in because €10 notes aren't available (as if this was a temporary problem) and PTSB remove options for notes that aren't available.

BoI prioritise the important things, you see. Like asking you every time whether you want your on-screen instructions in English or Irish.

A gaeilgeoir colleague of mine, to make a point, once did the rounds of 14(!) BoI branches in Co. Galway, trying in vain to find a single staff member who could handle a simple query in the language. God bless his perseverance... :D

Many ATMs have been removed in the past few years, and the ones that are left often run out of cash, particularly at weekends. This usually means that I buy something in an over-priced convenience shop to get cash-back.

Why don't you withdraw the money during the week then so that you don't run into this problem. I'm amazed at the amount of places that have money machines now in Ireland, they even have them in pubs. You can also I believe get cash back at the supermarkets so that you don't overspend in the convenience store.

A gaeilgeoir colleague of mine, to make a point, once did the rounds of 14(!) BoI branches in Co. Galway, trying in vain to find a single staff member who could handle a simple query in the language.

Odd that when it's Co. Galway of all counties, and odd too when you consider how many people tick the Irish speaker box on the census form.

I know! If it had been Co. Kerry, I'd have figured she just wasn't asking the right question.

;)

Back