Blue Screen

leukoshoopr

My 510Inspiron laptop has the following message on a blue screen :

Stop:C0000218{Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file)
\systemroot\system32\config\software
or it is corupt, absent or not writable.
Begining dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical
support group for further assistance

cant do anything with it except turn on and off- gives you options at start up to how you want to restart and I've tried them all but no luck-any suggestions please

Sounds to me like you need to reinstall your Operating System (Windows, Vista etc) and reformat the hard drive.

Something sounds corrupted.

but I cant even get into it to do anything

Exactly, you need to reinstall Windows. You can mess around with fixing the registery, but this tends to be a waste of time.

There may be a recovery partition on the HD and/or you may have a recovery/install CD(s). You could install Windows over the existing copy or into a new folder. This will allow you to start the computer and copy any important files off it. Then, if it was me I would reformat and reinstall Windows properly again.

Google for more detail...

thanks for the suggestions- just been up in the attic and no sign of the cds that came with the laptop it's nearly 6 years since we got them-
can I use someone elses cause it seem to be only way to go

Yeah you should be able to use someone elses.

Just get their Windows master disc, insert it into CD ROM drive and boot machine. It should go through the reinstall procedure. May take quite a while.

We got the blue screen about a year ago. Dell went through the procedure step by step to fix it but they asked for a 25 euro paymnet by credit card as the laptop was out of warranty

yeah- I was on their website and saw the price of contacting them-
it's amazing how difficult it is to find someone who still has their windows cd

If you do decide to reinstall using a Windows CD you will be prompted during the install for a product key. This can usually be found on the bottom of your laptop on a bluey green sticker. It will also say which operating system was originally installed. Good luck.

windows cd

yeah- I was on their website and saw the price of contacting them-
it's amazing how difficult it is to find someone who still has their windows cd

complete pain in the cajones when this happens
& its crap they dont make the re-install CDs freely available
i'll post you an xp cd if ur still stuck
rgds
born2bl8

Back