Bloody shop assistants - rant

Worst experience of a rude shop assistant recently was the patronising, dandruffed adolescent working in a shop on Dawson Street - don't know if I can mention the name. And he wasn't even serving me, it was his treatment of two other customers that I found disgusting - he was patronising, defensive and a total smart *rse when dealing with them and I ended up leaving without buying anything.

M

Not always the case. Often location or branding is what counts. There could also be a 'cartel of bad service' across similar shops.

Many shop assistants are college students. How are you going to stop these people from leaving?

Maybe they are the best staff you can get. Over the last few years, it has been pretty difficult to hire staff.

I disagree, Starbucks has done a pretty good job hiring decent staff and training them well. The majority of them look to be college students.

Metro Cafe on Chatham street (off Grafton Street) has a high turnover of backpackers as waiting staff, customer service is always excellent there.

The students who work in Beyond 2000 on Chatham street at the weekends also provide really good service and have for many years, while there major competitor who had very poor customer service on Baggot street (compustore?) went bust.

While this list is not exactly exhaustive, it does show I believe, that good customer service is possible in Ireland. I also believe that the reason these three companies have good customer service is because management have made it a priority and have trained the staff well.

I also don't accept that there are any valid excuses as to why any company should not try its best to provide good customer service.

But that's just my opinion and will only become law when I take over the world :)

I personally hate it when shop assistants don't leave you alone. I was in a well known clothing store in Dundrum recently when i asked twice downstairs & once more upstairs 'if i was okay?'. Like, go away!

Over a decade ago I went to live and work in Canada, after my summer contract ended I had to get some solid work before the following year's spring season came up. So I took a job at a newly opening hypermarket and within a week went from collecting trolleys in the car park (I'd applied and trained for a cashiers position) to the customer service desk in less than a week. Mainly because we were all trained and motivated well, and given 100% support from our bosses who would back you up in a minute (and who were all long term, well trained diplomatic managers).

It was the first job I had that I truly loved and the attitude within the company was "if you want it, you can get it" and poor manners, bad attitude and rudeness were always under the spotlight. In Ireland there is a mix, and generally good, with locals and foreigners equally good or bad. Try shops elsewhere in Europe and it's an eye opener. Anyone who has been to Croatia or Russia can understand why you can actually be scared to ask for something, in fact i've found most of the "eastern european" countries with more than a little "Molvanian" flavour to them.

This Christmas I found most shop assistants in the places I went pretty good, but when (for example in HMV, GAME) where there are 2 or 3 working side by side, they can't afford the time to engage you or (as mentioned above) make eye contact, is it their conversations are more important? And why is it that cashiers in Dunnes Stores always look and act as if they have severe piles?

I agree with the Dunnes Stores thing. We went to Cornelscourt at 8 a.m. before Christmas to avoid the crowds. My wife purchased some wrapping paper and went to the newsagents/sweet counter to pay for it. Three assistants were huddled in a corner having a private conversation, they glanced at my wife as she stood there waiting to pay but continued with their conversation ignoring her. She had to ask was "this counter open" before one of them reluctantly took her money.
I was surprised to find the same thing at the customer service counter in Superquinn Blackrock. Two assistants having a chat and ignoring the customers waiting.
Just off the point a bit. I noticed a lot of poor pricing of goods in Superquinn Blackrock with no prices at all for some products and other products not matching the prices displayed.

Just off the point a bit. I noticed a lot of poor pricing of goods in Superquinn Blackrock with no prices at all for some products and other products not matching the prices displayed.
I find Tesco (various branches) terrible for this. Sometimes there is no price and only an "out of stock" notice even though the goods are on the shelf. I wondered if it might be down to the outsourcing of some (a lot?) of shelf stocking to suppliers rather than it being done in house? Anybody know? It wouldn't be so bad if they had price checking scanners around the store allowing you to check the price yourself.

I find Tesco (various branches) terrible for this. Sometimes there is no price and only an "out of stock" notice even though the goods are on the shelf. I wondered if it might be down to the outsourcing of some (a lot?) of shelf stocking to suppliers rather than it being done in house? Anybody know? It wouldn't be so bad if they had price checking scanners around the store allowing you to check the price yourself.

Don't know if things have changed since but about 15 years ago 90% of shelf stocking was done by supermarket staff - occasionally, suppliers/merchandisers would stock shelves but generally only if they happened to be demonstrating in the store at the time or erecting a point of sale display or something

There used to be a price checking scanner in the Tesco Merrion Centre, down by the cakes area. This seems to have been blocked up with shelving. Where you see a special offer, say a reduced price for a 500g box of Rice Krispies but the shelf is only displaying 750g boxes it can be easy to assume that the reduced price is for the 750g boxes.
Having said that the Tesco no quibble guarantee has often resulted in me getting both the product and a price refund for a product. No chance of this in Dunnes.

For a shining example of how customer service should be done, I'd recommend going shopping in Singapore :)

Yep they sure are customer focussed, as they try to flog you a camera lens or battery for $100, that they bought for $10.99.
Saying that they are friendlier than our own grumbies.

Ok, I know this is generalising, but I personally find Arnotts homewares section very poor service-wise.

If you are lucky there will be two people at the till - one to work the till and the other to wrap the merchandise - and they are always really slow (sometimes their gossiping slows them down)

For some reason, even though the delph and kitchen equipment are right beside each other you have to go to different tills to buy them, thus having the pleasure of queuing twice.

The other day I went in to ask about a tv and I was studiously ignored by staff even though they could see me standing there. One of the staff members overheard me saying to my bf that I was determined to be served and barked at me that they were really busy (they weren't) so I just walked out. Even if they had been busy, just acknowledging my wait by saying that they'd be with me asap would have been enough. Who knows how they actually sell stuff there?!?

(Rant over, thanks for listening!)

... barked at me that they were really busy

Reminds of the Fawlty Towers episode where Basil was being hassled by some guests. He finally explodes ...

"This is typical. Absolutely typical... of the kind of...This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language I have to put up with from you people. You ponce in here expecting to be waited on hand and foot, while I'm trying to run a hotel here. Have you any idea of how much there is to do? Do you ever think of that? Of course not, you're all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking around for things to complain about, aren't you? Well let me tell you something - this is exactly how Nazi Germany started. A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble. Well I've had fifteen years of pandering to the likes of you, and I've had enough. I've had it. Come on, pack your bags and get out."

:D :D

Redstar, LOL! That was exactly what it was like. My bf really didn't want to be there cos he knows the score, but I just wanted to know the weight of the tv before I bought the bloody thing. Oh well, I'll stick to ordering on the Internet.

I personally hate it when shop assistants don't leave you alone. I was in a well known clothing store in Dundrum recently when i asked twice downstairs & once more upstairs 'if i was okay?'. Like, go away!

Maybe it's an Irish trait but many people I've spoken to do not like to be greeted/pounced on/ etc by staff the minute they enter the shop, preferring instead to browse a bit then, if they see something they like, get the attention of an assistant. I prefer this myself. I hate being approached the minute I've walked in. However in many countries, it's the done thing for an assistant to "puppy like" follow your every move. It's considered good practice and giving the customer proper attention. Everyone knows how it is in the Canaries where you can't even look in a window without someone making a be line to you from inside the shop and you scoot away hurriedly to avoid them. Some stores have an agreed time within which the customer should be approached, giving them some "free time" first then asking if they need any help. I've found Curry's to be like this. If you say you're ok, they leave you alone but maintain a "discreet distance" and if you look like you need help they're back immediately. It all comes down to training & shop policy.

My personal opinion regarding B&Q staff is that they could not be more helpful in the branch in Naas. I would go so far as saying that I am putting pen to paper to commend the high level of help that I received there on numerous occasions and from 2 staff in particular.

Unfortunately Dunnes Stores comes in bottom of customer services as always in my list the "dont know, dont want to know" attitude still exists I'm afraid. Although I did have a very helpful (not Irish may I add) assistant recently in their new store in Citywest!!

customer service is key to keeping customers!!!

For the best (ie worst) service anyone who's been in Russia or east of Germany will feel such pain. I had a lovely moment in a shop (an elite enough place) in Moscow my wallet was stolen (pickpocket). I went immediately to the "administrator" as they're called, and told what happened. She shrugged and asked what did I expect her to do about it. So, I said, call the cops, she told me she didn't have the authority and that she'd have to find someone higher up the food chain. We waited for 5, 10, 15minutes, when I was positively furious. The next higher one came back and said, "the local station is on x street, it's about 15mins walk away, but you might take a taxi as I don't know the directions." I decided to go into full raging Brit abroad mode, I demanded a phone number for the station, she didn't know it and didn't know how to get it. So I had my other half call the emergency number for the police, at which point the upper administrator ran away (to be replaced minutes later with a higher up person again). A few minutes later the militia arrived complete with weapons, the staff were in shock and when I asked to see the security tapes (I'd actually seen and remember still the thieving scumbag) they told us the cameras were only for show, before (with a finger wag from the cop) they showed us what they had and we left for the station.

It turned out that in that same shop, a major bookstore, it is a common enough scam to pickpocket foreigners where they're most liable to be, in the foreign language book section.

I once had to ask to be served at a counter where I was waving my €50 note to pay for something in Lifestyle sports with 2 people behind the counter a foot away from me having a good old natter about the night before. Talk about the look I got when I asked if anyone was going to serve me!

In contrast, I'm just back from a ski trip with a few days shopping in Boston tagged on at the end and in each and every shop, without fail, I was greeted and asked if I wanted any help. When I declined, I was left alone and when I required help, they couldn't do enough. It was totally different to what I have experienced shopping in Ireland....

When I go to the shops, I usually know what I need and would rather be left alone by the staff. If I want help, then I can look for it.
I was greeted and asked if I wanted any help. When I declined, I was left alone and when I required help, they couldn't do enough. It was totally different to what I have experienced shopping in Ireland....
That is because wages in the American retail sector are more commission driven than over here. Minimum wage there can be as little as $2-$3 dollars, therefore earning commission is a necessity.

Back