Blood Donations. Does anyone make money from it.

Tintagel

When a person donates blood they do so for free. Are there people down the line making a profit from this free blood that they get. Now that we are all being squeezed on all sides :) by everybody maybe it's time to start getting paid for what we donate.

I used to donate and didn't mind not being paid for it. I can't donate now as I have received blood and platelet transfusions. I think most people who donate wouldn't like payment per se. The free bag of crisps, timeout bar and cola was ok reward for me.

I did think though, if they gave a 10 euro shopping voucher it might be a good stimulant to increase donors, as it is the same donors continously kindly donating, and a lot of the time its straight to the clinic after rushing home from work.

I read a while back that the head of the IBTS which has about 160,000 donations a year is on a high remuneration package compared to the corresponding UK head with a much larger number of donors.

Payments for donations may attract unsuitable donors (drug addicts etc) and potentially fraud (one person donating multiple times under different names) and lying about their medical history. Blood screening may be something like 99.99% effective, so the more risk removed the better.

Wasn't that one of the reasons for the Blood Tribunal, the purchase of blood from dubious donors?

I have given blood for almost 10 years.

In return I receive a packet of Tayto and a glass of 7.Up and also peace of mind that 5 years ago, the life of my newly born son was saved by donated blood. He was 3 months premature and I actually witnessed him change colour as one of the transfusions was administered.

Wasn't that one of the reasons for the Blood Tribunal, the purchase of blood from dubious donors?

No, there was no purchase of blood from dubious donors. That is very very wrong. The donors in question did nohing wrong.

Here is my recollection. I am open to correction on the details.

Human Immunoglobulin Anti-D is a product produced from blood donations. It is used to medically treat women after birth in certain medical circumstances.

The products used in Ireland were made from donated blood from a small number of donors. The blood donors involved donated their blood voluntarily and freely.

There was no test for Hep-C, so the donated blood could not have been tested for it. A number of years later, some of the donors contracted hepatitis Symptoms, but did not test positive for any of the known types of Hepatitis. It subsequently transpired that they had Hep-C.

Even though it was known to the authoritites that the donors had Hep symptoms and may have Hepatitis, it was decided to continue to us the products created from their donations, and many women contracted Hep-C as a result.

Good medical practise would have been to dump all the products and make more from different original donations.

Years ago I saw a television programme about donations in America. The people that were selling their blood you wouldn't want to sit next to, never mind have their blood. Not sure if it's still the same. So I think the Irish system is far better.

The point that I was trying to get across is that we are paying through the nose for our healthcare. If blood is given for free then it should be passed on for free. Hospitals/consultants etc should not be making money out of free donations.

I have a kidney that I don't need. Will sell for 15k.

Why on earth would anyone want to be paid for giving blood? Giving blood saves lives. Is that not enough reason to do it?

If blood is given for free then it should be passed on for free.

Do you believe that it is not ?

Hospitals/consultants etc should not be making money out of free donations.

If medical professionals are being paid for administering blood transfusions, I assume any payment is in respect of their professional skills, expertise, etc. The blood used is unlikely to be any basis for payment.

I have a kidney that I don't need. Will sell for 15k.

Why on earth would anyone want to be paid for giving blood? Giving blood saves lives. Is that not enough reason to do it?

If that's what Kidneys are going for I'm opening a butchers shop!

I read a while back that the head of the IBTS which has about 160,000 donations a year is on a high remuneration package compared to the corresponding UK head with a much larger number of donors.
Can he buy his house at UK prices? Can he get healthcare from the NHS? Do his kids get their schoolbooks for free like they do in the UK? Can he buy and insure his car at UK prices?

Back