Blog sites - Pros & Cons

RainyDay

Hi folks - Have we any bloggers that frequent AAM who could advise on the pros & cons of the many web blog sites out there, from the bloggers point of view. I'm thinking out setting up a blog (though I note [broken link removed]).

My content could be somewhat controversial, so I definitely need something that would allow easy management of comments, including IP address tracking banning by user and/or IP address if required. There does seem to be a lot of SPAM comments around, so I'd like something that can resist these. Tagging by keyword and options to include spreadsheets and images on the blog would also be important.

Can anyone suggest which site(s) might best suit my needs?

Obviously there are sites like blogspot and blogger where you can set up a blog. You could set up a wordpress blog at any hosting site, which would give you more freedom. I use wordpress myself and it has quite good anti-spam plug-ins etc. for comment spam. Also if you have your own hosting I presume you can block IP addresses or whatever else you want (though I don't know much about this!)

Thanks GravityGirl - I'd prefer to avoid having to set up a hosted site for the moment, so it is sites like blogspot and blogger that I'm thinking about. Any ideas about which of these sites would be best for me would be more than welcome.

Blogs.ie offer a free wordpress blog - I use them and find them fine - my only worry about these free hosts is that they could just pull the plug at any time and you would lose all you had done.
Blacknight.ie offer cheap wordpress hosting.

Hi folks - Have we any bloggers that frequent AAM who could advise on the pros & cons of the many web blog sites out there, from the bloggers point of view. I'm thinking out setting up a blog (though I note [broken link removed]).

My content could be somewhat controversial, so I definitely need something that would allow easy management of comments, including IP address tracking banning by user and/or IP address if required. There does seem to be a lot of SPAM comments around, so I'd like something that can resist these. Tagging by keyword and options to include spreadsheets and images on the blog would also be important.

Can anyone suggest which site(s) might best suit my needs?

If & when it gets up and running, will you be letting us know about the blog Rainyday? Or would you prefer there not to be any link with your persona on AAM?

Curious why you feel the need to blog?

I don't feel a need - more an opportunity to highlight some issues of concern to me, and test the water for views of others.

If & when it gets up and running, will you be letting us know about the blog Rainyday? Or would you prefer there not to be any link with your persona on AAM?
I'm thinking that I'll keep the two personas entirely seperate. Poor oul Rainy carries so much baggage these days.....

Just FYI, the of a free Wordpress blog with your choice of domain name seems to be the best option around - though I'd still love to hear of experiences of others...

RD

I currently use the H365 free blog hosting and find it quite good. I have yet to maximize my blogging opportunity and use it to help my business web site. The only caveat with the free blog hosting is that you are tied into only certain templates and configurations so it is not possible/easy to add in extra features to your blog such as Adwords etc.

C

I don't feel a need - more an opportunity to highlight some issues of concern to me, and test the water for views of others.

I'm thinking that I'll keep the two personas entirely seperate. Poor oul Rainy carries so much baggage these days.....

IMO Blogs carry much less weight when they are anonymous, and its very difficult to be truely anonymous on the net. But I would say to people always be wary of creating a internet presence. Theres always someone who'll got to great lengths to find out who you are and not always for good reasons.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4115073.stm

Basically be careful.

Livejournal is another one that provides good anonimity and is low on advertisements. They have levels of accounts starting with a free basic and the paid user one costs about $20 a year.

Back