Block out building with hole & damp

CA Girl

I hope someone can direct where or how to correct this problem as we are new to your beautiful country. We have an out building that is made of block, concret floor. Hubby & son are good with DIY and curently addiing 1x 2's to the walls & insulated plaster board. As they moved some items to continue on there is a place at the floor that is a hole in the block, someone filled with rocks. This area is damp and continues down the bottom of the wall a couple of feet. The ground outside the building is a few inches above the floor line. Hope for some suggestions on how to repair or where to go. We are near Tullamore. Thanks in advance and hope this question is clear.

Hubby & son are good with DIY and curently addiing 1x 2's to the walls & insulated plaster board.
That will not have too much effect on the dampness - cosmetic only.

As they moved some items to continue on there is a place at the floor that is a hole in the block, someone filled with rocks. This area is damp and continues down the bottom of the wall a couple of feet. The ground outside the building is a few inches above the floor line. Hope for some suggestions on how to repair or where to go. We are near Tullamore. Thanks in advance and hope this question is clear.
I can't fully picture what you are saying about the hole in the block etc.
As for the rest, the ways of dealing with the damp (in order).
Do these in order - as any one of them might solve - or sufficiently solve - the problem so that you do not need to go any further. Wait a couple of months between each step to see if it is sufficiently effective.

1. Fix any gutters - so that water does not stream down the walls.
2. Bring the ground level externally to 6" below the internal floor level.
3. Install a French drain around the outhouse. (i.e. perforated drain c.18" below ground level next to the wall, with PVC brought down the wall to this point, back fill with no fines gravel).

Thank you for your suggestions. Gutters were recently done. As for the hole just picture the bottom block with a good size hole somehow cut out of it. We will try the other suggestions. Thanks again.

Maybe a pic could explain exactly how low down the wall the hole is, and how near the ground it is. You also said that the outside ground level is hihter than the inner floor level. This needs to be addressed so as to avoid any issue of damp penetrating into the floor area, and maybe up the wall.

There should be no reason why you cant fill the hole appropriately , and continue with your renovation work in your outbuilding. Is the out building solid blocks . If so you would need to take the correct steps to avoid water penetration through the walls of the out buildings.

In Tullamore in balcony books in the new bridge center you will be able to get an excellent DIY book from COLLINS. This has excellent advice for work that you are describing.

sabre

The outbuilding is block wall & the one with the hole is at foundation level. I will check that book thank you much

Back