black out blinds: Dont work 100%

ccraig

Does anyone here have blackout blinds that work>
We have a new born and my wife says the room is too light as light is still getting in around them and the curtains.

Does anyone have the same problem?

I have seen bags covering windows, towels stuffed into gaps etc

Yes. I do. There is a metal frame fitted into the window opening and the blind is heavy duty blackout material, with metal edges. These metal edges are slotted into the frame either side. The room is practically pitch black every morning.

I can't remember the brand. I think I got them from Castle Blinds??? There were about 250/window a good few years ago, including measuring up and fitting.

My advice is just to ring as many blind shops as you can. You might come across one who is able to special order, as we did.

I had a similar problem to you ccraig, the black out blind allowed a small amount of light in, around the window. My solution was to put black out lining on the curtains also, and so with a black out blind and black out curtains, I have no light coming into the bedroom. I got my black out lining in Harry Corry's - it was about €40 for 90(w)x90(d) lining.

You might be wasting your time/money - newborn babies wake frequently as that's what they are designed to do! :)

Babies will sleep anywhere anytime if they need to.

I've never understood the desire for total blackout blinds myself [eyelids work very well and they have a lifetime guarantee and turning away from the source of light works wonders], but apart from the metal frame solution there are two other solutions -

- the first involves velcro-ing the edges of the interlined drop down blinds to a strip on the wall, otherwise the same tolerance gap that allows the blinds to come down will let light in.
- the second involves pelmets around the sides as well as the head of the window of draw curtains to avoid light escaping at the sides and a generous interlined curtain to seal the middle join.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Yes you can get ready made black out linings to fit various curtain sizes which work very well.

You don't need to do this for sleeping babies.

Also during daylight hours babies should be exposed to the day light. That's what the hospital told me.

Personally I would think that if a baby wakes and its very bright maybe baby thinks its time to get up whereas if the room was darkened would it not help to keep them sleeping longer?

It's a good idea in the daytime for babies to get used to light and get used to being up, that way they'll learn to sleep longer and better at night. Any baby will sleep in daylight if tired enough and black out blinds aren't going to change that. That's what I did and had great sleepers at night. Also having all the normal daylight noises is a good idea, washing machines, talking, radio, door bells etc. Certainly that worked for me. Tip toeing around in the day time seemed not to work for those who did it that I encountered.

I don't agree with the use of blackout blinds in the daytime, they need to know day from night but the night time is different. Again I suppose it varies from child to child, some are better and longer sleepers than others.

Hi

This is a nice idea... if the blackout blinds do not work perfectly as per your requirement, the idea you suggested is a good one. Otherwise, in most of the cases blackout blinds work perfectly. It may differ what material of blinds you used.

I have never used black out curtains for my kids and they'll go to sleep in broad daylight now which is great during these long bright evenings.

Back