Birthday party for 1 year old

Shaz

My son is turning one and I would like to have a party for him. I am inviting a few people with kids ranging from 12 months 4 years old.
Any suggestions on entertainment e.g clown.

What would the clown do besides making animals from balloons. How much do they cost?

At age one they don'e need much entertaining as their attention span wouldn't be too good. We have only had family birthdays so far for our kids with just cousins at it and they make their own fun. We have a playroom and just let them at it in there. We had balloons which always go down well and some party food for the kids and adults. The adults all take turns entertaining and playing games with the kids. Seriously up to age four a clown might frighten them!

Agree - for age 1 the amount of entertainment required is minimal. All that is needed is some grown-ups to make a fuss of the birthday boy/girl for a while, have a table set with some decorations, crisps, buns, orange, etc . . . and then a bit more of a fuss after the food. A few games like pass the parcel, musical chairs and the party will go well. At age 1, this should cover all the bases - presents, laughing, food, fun, some familiar faces - everything necessary for the best day ever. Add a clown or magician into the mix and the child may well be wondering what this stange (scary) person is doing in their house and get upset.

Having a long organised party at that age is more likely to get the child tired and cranky than to have a lasting impression.

z

My two year old is terrified of clowns.....
I think make your own fun is better than having someone in to do the entertaining.
Kids that young simply like attention.
Pass the parcel, disco music, balloons, plenty of food and drinks, treasure hunt around the house if raining or in the garden weather permitting.
And aim to not have the party going on for too long or kids get exhausted, over stimulated, cranky and miserable. For up to age 4, 2-3 hours is loads of time so I would think a clown unnecessary.

My 3 year old was terrified of clowns until recently.

After her 3rd birthday party a few weeks ago she told me 'when I was a baby I no like birthday parties, now I'm a BIG girl I like parties'!! Ahhhhh cute!

Anyhow, have had two kids have 1st birthday parties, and though I wouldn't have missed them for the world, it's more for the adults, relatives at that stage than for the children themselves. Mostly they're a bit surprised about the hullabaloo.

Best was to let them crawl/shuffle around enjoying some extra attention. Balloons are big favorites together with an adult blowing bubbles down at them. A guided treasure hunt might work (had it at my 2 yr old's and 3yr old's and they loved it).

Ditch the clown this year!!!

I've seen it mentioned that things like clowns and organised party entertainment are not recommended for such a young age for some of the reasons mentioned earlier and because it can freak the younger kids out!

As above, 1yr old too young for clown. Id say 3rys plus before you get krusty in. Just try to make sure they know its their special day by making the child the centre of attention.

You wouldn't believe the parties that my 5 year old has been to, where the parents must be spending at least 500 quid. The best one she was ever at though was one where there was no clown, bouncy castle, magician, or beautician, but where they played pass the parcel, give us a clue and musical chairs, - stuff we would have done years ago,the kids, including my own, had never been to a party like it ,they were so busy and excited, they forgot about all the goodies on the table.

Lots of 1 year olds don't like to be surrounded by lots of people as well - it can freak them out and make them extra clingy to their parents.

I have to say I agree with all of the above. A one year old simply likes the attention, but not of a crowd all at once. He'll probably spend most of the time on your hip to be honest. Having said that he'll love colourful balloons, paper streamers, and a brightly decorated table full of goodies. You probably shouldn't allow him to eat too much of the latter!

We brought our 1 year old to the zoo for the day instead (mammy and daddy took the day off work) and I must say we enjoyed this much better than any party and I think our little treasure enjoyed herself too. As others have mentioned a party might be too much for a baby and really all they want is some love and attention and spending time with their parents.

I have to agree, clowns are that age for most children are scary, don't like them much myself. I have 3 children and always do the entertaining myself. Pick a theme and base the old traditional games around it. Bubble machines are great fun and for that age always have a table set up with colouring, play dough for the little ones that are a bit shy. If you are talented or have someone to do a little face painting, that goes down a treat. Have a great day.

Watch out with the candles on the cake - 1 year olds (and higher) love them and are apt to grab. Not that they'll do any harm, just you end up looking like a bad parent on the video. Again.

Back