Bin collection/ jobsworth.

I

iggy

I`m absolutely disgusted! :mad:
Our bins were collected this morning as usual but our neighbours bin was not. Our neighbours are Polish and are the nicest neighbours anyone could wish to have, friendly and polite, much better than all the Irish tenants who were previously in residence there,(the house is rented).
The bin was tagged but the lid wasn`t completely closed down and I`m sure they didn`t understand that this was a requirement, I will tell them when they get in from work this evening.
Now I don`t blame the binmen for not taking bags left beside bins or when the lid is open and rubbish is overflowing etc but this was not the case here.
I realise the rules stating that the lid must be closed but They dont even have to lift the bins anymore!
They still call door to door every christmas with their hand out for their christmas dues.........needless to tell you what they`ll be gettin` this year!!
I live in south Dublin county council area, my partner lives in Dublin corporation area and her bin collectors are very helpful...the complete opposite of mine.
P.s. I was trying to attach a photo, can someone tell me how please?

I just dont understand this requirement for bins, obviously if the lid isnt completely down this week and the bin is NOT collected the lid has very little chance of being completely down the next week because there is going to be much more rubbish to fill it!!! This only results in people storing bags of rubbish in their gardens and attracting vermin. Even if the bin IS overflowing why leave it there!!! I dont understand the logic behind any of it.

Personally I hate seeing overflowing bins left out - if people have to have overflowing rubbish I would prefer it's in their own back garden not out on the street where everyone has to look at it. The thing with the lid not being totally down does seem a bit harsh but think about it - where are the bin men to draw the line between a lid not being down and an overflowing bin? It's the same thing actually. If they were to empty them there would be even more people taking the mick leaving out overflowing bins hoping it would be collected. And the rubbish does blow out and get everywhere littering the whole place and in no time at all the place looks like a tip.

I think the onus is on the bin owner to just have their rubbish in a bin with the lid down, it's not rocket science.

Personally I hate seeing overflowing bins left out - if people have to have overflowing rubbish I would prefer it's in their own back garden not out on the street where everyone has to look at it. The thing with the lid not being totally down does seem a bit harsh but think about it - where are the bin men to draw the line between a lid not being down and an overflowing bin? It's the same thing actually. If they were to empty them there would be even more people taking the mick leaving out overflowing bins hoping it would be collected. And the rubbish does blow out and get everywhere littering the whole place and in no time at all the place looks like a tip.

I think the onus is on the bin owner to just have their rubbish in a bin with the lid down, it's not rocket science.

"I would prefer it's in their own back garden " - so you like rats then?

if people have to have overflowing rubbish I would prefer it's in their own back garden not out on the street where everyone has to look at it.

If you have neighbours storing rubbish in their back gardens then the rats it attracts will waste no time looking round your back garden also. This is a problem that affects everyone in an area if one persons rubbish attracts them in the first place.

They still call door to door every christmas with their hand out for their christmas dues.........needless to tell you what they`ll be gettin` this year!!

Never heard of this before?
For sure postmen in rural areas get some money at Christmas. And rightly so, there are no house numbers and they need to know the names of everyone as soon as they move in, a lot of houses will have names (like El Dorado and other stupid names) and also the postman needs to know the names of the children in the areas.

But why in city and the OP lives in Dublin?Sure the bin staff could be working different areas and schedules every week? They might only work the route over Christmas and they want money for this?

Rural workers yes if they work the route all year. City staff, no way!

When the bins are left open even a little bit, the crows get in and drag all the rubbish all over the road.

Even if the bin is not overflowing, it is common sense to know to leave the lid down.

Our Dunlaoghaire Rathdown Co. Council bin collectors left all the bins in our area on the roadway today, some a couple of feet from the kerb. Too much trouble to put them neatly back on the footpath.

Our Dunlaoghaire Rathdown Co. Council bin collectors left all the bins in our area on the roadway today, some a couple of feet from the kerb. Too much trouble to put them neatly back on the footpath.

Ours do the same, often leaving bins blocking the driveway of the house it's from, so when you get home from work, you have to stop the car on the road, holding up cars behind you until you can pull the bin out of the way to drive into your driveway, or they leave them feet out into the road so that two cars can't pass each other and have to wait to pull out around the bin.

Having said that, there are some nice chaps on the lorries - once, I forgot to get a tag the night before, and raced to the shop in the morning to get back in time to tag it, they were collecting it as I pulled back up, and the chap said in future to not panic, just leave it out without a tag and he'd get two tags off me the next week. Doubt they could do that everywhere though as people would be leaving bins out without tags every week and hoping they'd never come knocking for the extra tag!

Never heard of this before?
For sure postmen in rural areas get some money at Christmas. And rightly so, there are no house numbers and they need to know the names of everyone as soon as they move in, a lot of houses will have names (like El Dorado and other stupid names) and also the postman needs to know the names of the children in the areas.

But why in city and the OP lives in Dublin?Sure the bin staff could be working different areas and schedules every week? They might only work the route over Christmas and they want money for this?

Rural workers yes if they work the route all year. City staff, no way!

I live in Dublin City Council area - usually the same crew every time - you get to recognise them after a while. And they call looking for their "christmas box" each year.

1.When the bins are left open even a little bit, the crows get in and drag all the rubbish all over the road.

2. Even if the bin is not overflowing, it is common sense to know to leave the lid down.
1. Even more reason to empty it then.
2.Common sense for native Irish folk, as I said I will go in to them tonight and explain that the lid must be completely closed.The reason I tried to show a photo was that the lid was open about four inches or so!
We`re just talking about a little bit of flexibility here.

When the bins are left open even a little bit, the crows get in and drag all the rubbish all over the road. Even if the bin is not overflowing, it is common sense to know to leave the lid down.
One bit of common sense does not trump another bit of common sense. All common sense is equal. So while your bit of common sense is valid, surely the binmen should use common sense in deciding if the lid of a bin is partly open, whether or not to take it? If they leave it, the crows are given more opportunity to get in. Or perhaps that's just what they want us to think. Damn evil crows.

The issue of closing the bin fully is a recent development (past year where I live). I think it has more to do with increasing revenue than crows.

I've now use citybin and they kindly leave my bin where I left it. They're also cheaper.

Why should it be common sense just for native Irish people to know that if you dont close the lid on the bin you could be left with rubbish strewn all over the road. I really don't see the relevance of the people being Polish. Maybe it's just in my neck of the woods that crows (we have lots of them as loads of trees around) have often torn the bins apart long before the binman arrives because somebody did not close down the lid.

Yes, the issue of closing down the lid on the bins or they will not take it is new and probably has not been communicated to everyone ( of all nationalities) Also, the binmen can be jobsworths, ie some will take it with the lid open, and some won't.

This problem got totally out of hand in our area (SDCC) in the little bit of power is a dangerous thing context. It got to the stage if the lid was a fraction open then the bin wasn't collected.

Eventually after a load of bins were not collected one week, the supervisor got enough complaints to require a visit by himself and needless to say the problem has disappeared.

We recently bought a bin squasher downer thing. It means we can get a lot more in before it over flows.
Our bin men are great. I've been caught without a tag a couple of times and they've always collected the bin anyway.
My next door neighbour often gets them to empty the bin and then they wait while he refills it and they empty it again.
And they've never looked for anything at Christmas.
Fingal CC

My binmen will collect rubbish bin if slightly open but not the recycling bin as that is supposed to be dry recyclables only.

My Fingal CC bin men always leave the bin's in the middle of road and decline to empty the bin if the lid is even 1 inch open. If local people would not run out as soon as the bin men were there the street would be a traffic nightmare.

On contrast my new service provider's drivers put the bin back into my drive way (not only curbside) and don't really care about the lid because they charge me by weight.

I started to put my bin out more often now (i.e. half full) because over the last quarter I saved 40% because I only pay by weight.

Competition is good and maybe fingal cc is sooner or later learning a lesson.

I noticed that my bin gets scattered around a lot more if I leave it out with the front facing out. If I leave it out with the rear facing out e.g. where the bin man would normally grab the bin to pull it towards the bin lorry, it tends to be left back where it was. I dunno if this is my imagination. I think by leaving it 'handier' for the bin man, he is leaving it handier for me.

Back