• Saddle - Prologo Phorma / Wilier
  • Bar - FSA Vero Compact
  • Stem - FSA OS190
  • Brakes - FSA Gossamer / Wilier
  • Brake Levers - Shimano 105
  • Pedals - None included
Cost €1250

The above specification of a bike

I have tried the Giant Defy 2, Cannondale and the Lapierre but this seems to ride easier.

I will need the bike for the next 5 years.

Any thoughts are welcome or alternatives in a similar or less price range.

First of all, take a look at the fit calculator here, and make sure the frame geometry suits your body and the style you're after. Comfort being important, you probably don't want the more cramped 'competetive fit'. You'll probably find the more comfortable bike matches this fit more closely.

The 105 group set is good, and the price isn't bad either. List price for that is ~£1,200 in the UK. It's relatively heavy at 9kg though. Not sure if your BTW scheme allows you to purchase from abroad, but Canyon do some great deals, similar or less money, better wheels, lighter.

Another thing to consider is that 2014 bikes will start appearing in September, so good deals could be had approaching that time as dealers clear 2013 stock.

Well back in 1988 I was big into cycle touring and I bought myself a Dawes Galaxy, which I used for touring all over the British Isles before moving to Switzerland. Now 25 years later it is still in use over here, of course I've replaced various components over the years, but still I'd certainly go back for another one if ever the need comes up.

First of all, take a look at the fit calculator here, and make sure the frame geometry suits your body and the style you're after. Comfort being important, you probably don't want the more cramped 'competetive fit'. You'll probably find the more comfortable bike matches this fit more closely.

The 105 group set is good, and the price isn't bad either. List price for that is ~£1,200 in the UK. It's relatively heavy at 9kg though. Not sure if your BTW scheme allows you to purchase from abroad, but Canyon do some great deals, similar or less money, better wheels, lighter.

Another thing to consider is that 2014 bikes will start appearing in September, so good deals could be had approaching that time as dealers clear 2013 stock.

Leo, thanks for that. My understanding is that Canyon sell direct, and not to shops. If this is the case then it will not be possible to ride the bike at all. Perhaps you might confirm this, if you know any further information.

Any other spec. and bike suggestions welcome.

I know the Wiliers is a good bike but for more detailed opinion and information, you might want to pop over to boards.ie/cycling. That's a very active bike forum with lots of advice on any type of bike.

Leo, thanks for that. My understanding is that Canyon sell direct, and not to shops.

That's correct, and that's also how they're so much cheaper than the shops, no shop mark up on top of a distributor mark up. You can return the bike to them if you're not 100% satisfied, but it is an added hassle if it doesn't suit you. I have one of their MTBs, similar spec bike here would have cost me twice what I paid for the Canyon.

If you can buy from the north, shops there (Chain Reaction included) are generally quite a bit cheaper than shops here.

As Slim says, the Boards forum is very busy, so if your thread takes people's interest, you can get a huge amount of feedback, if not, it'll quickly fall to page 2 and die.

One thing though, you didn't say what you intend to use the bike for? You interested in getting into racing of any variety, looking for a commuter or a tourer?

Back