BIK - Commerical Vehicle

Mahons

Hi,

I'm an IT contractor with Private Ltd company. I'm looking at buying a commercial vehicle through the company for use by myself only. This would be my full time vehicle.

Anyone know what the BIK implications would be??

Thanks in advance

Mahons

Mahons I saw your other post re Crew cab from Thailand.

Crew Cabs are the same as cars for BIK purposes.......30%.

Are you 100% sure on Crew Cabs having to pay the full 30%. The reason so many people are driving them is for the fact they are treated as a commercial vehicle even though they have 5 seats.

Crew cabs are definitely 30% - we have recently been audited by revenue and this was confirmed by them.

Appears you're right, found this on the revenue website

Meaning of “car”

For the purposes of the PAYE and PRSI charges, a car

means any mechanically propelled road vehicle

designed, constructed or adapted for the
carriage of the driver or the driver and one or
more other persons, other than -

(a) a motor-cycle the weight of which is less than 410 kilograms,
(b) a van (see definition in Chapter 6),
or
(c) a vehicle not commonly used as a private vehicle and unsuitable to be so used.

This includes all cars within the ordinary meaning of the
word, crewcabs and jeeps but excludes hearses and lorries.

just found this on the revenue website...

Meaning of “van”
A van means a mechanically propelled vehicle which –

n is designed or constructed solely or mainly for the carriage of goods or other burden, and
n has a roofed area or areas to the rear of the driver’s seat, and

n has no side windows or seating fitted in that roofed area or areas.

Where a crew cab or other similar type of vehicle meets all of these criteria it would be regarded as a
van rather than a car – see Chapter 5 (paragraph 5.3 ) regarding the meaning of “car”.

Hi,

Also, Found this online, although the article is a bit old so maybe things have changed:

Vans

With effect from January 1, an employee who has the use of a van will be liable to PAYE and PRSIon avalue equivalent to 5 per cent of the original market value of the van. A crew cab will be treated as a van for BIK
purposes.

Taken from [broken link removed]

Also, from Revenue.ie site as quoted my mahons above:

Meaning of “car”

For the purposes of the PAYE and PRSI charges, a car

means any mechanically propelled road vehicle

designed, constructed or adapted for the
carriage of the driver or the driver and one or
more other persons, other than -

(a) a motor-cycle the weight of which is less than 410 kilograms,
(b) a van (see definition in Chapter 6),
or
(c) a vehicle not commonly used as a private vehicle and unsuitable to be so used.

This includes all cars within the ordinary meaning of the
word, crewcabs and jeeps but excludes hearses and lorries.

I think the sentence "a vehicle not commonly used as a private vehicle and unsuitable to be so used" means that if you have use of another car and do NOT use the crew cab as a private vehicle then you should not be getting 30% BIK. Is this right?? I.e. If a vehicle IS a Crewcab AND IS commonly used as a private vehicle then you pay 30%... if it IS a crewcab and IS NOT commonly used as a private vehicle you don't.

Can anyone clarify or comment?

Thanks a million,

A

If the vehicle is pooled ( i.e. available for use by a number of employees and not assigned to an individual ) isnt the situation somewhat different ?

Going off topic... I understand that up untill recently mobile cranes in the UK could use low duty rate ( i.e. same rate as heating oil etc ) diesel. Does anyone know the position in here on this ?

Back