Big difference between quotes for windows

WGT

Hi,
Have received 2 very differing quotes for PVC double glazing (10 windows, 1 french doors, 1 porch door and 1 back door).

Quote 1 from Supplier X
Whole Window U-Value 1.28
Price: €9140

Quote 2 from Supplier Y
Whole Window U-Value 1.5
Price: €5200

Supplier 1 said their windows have spacer bars and are NSAI certified. Supplier 2 are certified but not NSAI, British standard of some description.
I'm going to quiz supplier 2 on their cheap quote.
I want to make sure that we get the best value window, not necessarily the cheapest.
Is it plausible that the windows from Supplier 2 are genuine and how should I prove that they're good.

Is it plausible that the windows from Supplier 2 are genuine and how should I prove that they're good.

Get a third quote and then you will know who is right or incorrect.

Other Quotes

Got a quote of €7,000 from another supplier (U-VAlue was 1.4 again not NSAI certified).
I'm currently trying to get both suppliers to
a. Justify the higher price of 9,140
b. Justify the cheaper price of 5,200

It's seems to be a very unregulated area. Lot's of scope for wheeling and dealing and using different components to build the window.

I don't believe it's unregulated. IMO this is called a sign of the times. Som e contractors are downright greedy, others just price the works to the bone to keep in operation.

If you stated what part of the country you were in, others might be able to offer you names for more competitive quotes.

If they are quoting you uvalues and/or window energy performance rates they must be certified and registered with either NSAI or BFRC in Britain and should be able to show you the certificates - otherwise they are just doing the usual salesman spoof.

check if any windows are tilt and turn (apparently these are cheaper), also check the fitting/installation by company men and not hired out to others as fitting of the windows extremely important, check length of guarantee (5 or 10 years),

Price of windows

I don't believe it's unregulated. IMO this is called a sign of the times. Som e contractors are downright greedy, others just price the works to the bone to keep in operation.

If you stated what part of the country you were in, others might be able to offer you names for more competitive quotes.

Every supplier I've been talking to agree that it's unregulated, hence the varying quotes. I live in a suburb of Dublin in Co. Kildare, so any quotes are welcome.
Quotes so far are:
€9000 - UValue 1.28 Double Glazing
€7000 - UValue 1.4 Double Glazing
€5200 - UValue 1.5 Double Glazing

If this is regulated mercman, then surely (don't call me shirley :D) all these guys windows are of the same quality (albeit different U-Values).

if the windows are different u values then they are different quality.

my own windows have a uv of 1.0

i paid about 3k for approx 20 windows and 2 double doors.

i never looked and quality control.

but i can say it was the second best deal i got when building my extension.

They wernt bought in the recession either!

Back