Big black house spiders.

citronella, they hate it!!!!!! watched it on HOW CLEAN IS YOUR HOUSE last week i think you can get it as an oil . you put it on a cloth, put the cloth on the handle of a brush and wipe onto the walls ( or floor ) especially into the corners, which is where they usually go to, to put on their saddles !!!!! i for one am in favour of bashing the hell out of them, they have more legs than me and they move faster, good luck!

Read some where that, annually, the spider population in the UK scoffs an amount of insects equal to the mass of the human population.

Let's put it this way: would you prefer to see the odd spider now and again, or have 70kg of bluebottles in your house?

I know I'll probably get panned for advocating chemicals, but here goes

Doff Flying & Crawling Insect Killer is brillant for getting rid of ants and generally you dont tend to see any other creepy things around either. It smells revolting and you need to open windows and remove plants and food and spray around the skirting boards, door frames and window frames. We normally have an ant attack in about May (not this year tho) and once the room is sprayed you wont see an ant or pretty much anything else crawling for the rest of the year.

I know its irrational but I'm with the yuck spider brigade and cant go near them to get them out. My skin is crawling just typing this...

Thanks Clubman

Have just come back in having run screaming from the building (wouldn't be the first time)

Anybody else noticed a lot more of the huge ones (I think they're called giant house-spiders) around this year? Seeing nearly one a day now and not just at home!! Maybe it's just the time of year or it could be they're following me!!!!

As I said - irrational.

Just for info - one of the key tenets of CBT is that it doesn't dictate to a person what is a rational or irrational thought.

I doubt you're a CBT practitioner, so it might be worth trying to restrict yourself from making such misleading comments in the future. A little knowlede is a dangerous thing!

Anybody else noticed a lot more of the huge ones (I think they're called giant house-spiders) around this year? Seeing nearly one a day now and not just at home!! Maybe it's just the time of year or it could be they're following me!!!!

Over on boards.ie, on a simliar thread to this, someone pointed out, with links, that these threads appear in August/September every year! So it's nothing unusual this time around either.

I came across one of these huge montrous house spiders last night......only myself and my mother were in the house.....i jumped up on a chair and cried with the fright.....my mother eventually killed it with a shoe when she got over the shock that we didn't have a big strong man in the house to do the dirty work for us! I can't bear to even look at them.....the sight of them makes me want to throw up......i think i'll try the Citronella option

Profound response. But if you think that such a fear is rational then perhaps you could explain?

which is the point i was trying to make. How can you explain that somebody elses fear/feelings etc is rational or irrational when they themselves hold it, not you? Moreover, what gives anybody the right to tell somebody they are having rational or irrational thoughts/feelings?

Whilst i was glad to see a reference to CBT as a possible means of helping to overcome fears, i think the follow-up was misleading.

profound enough?

Moreover, what gives anybody the right to tell somebody they are having rational or irrational thoughts/feelings?
Fear of something that cannot physically harm you is surely irrational by any objective assessment?

Hey Clubman, it was really huge.....it was about the size of the palm of my hand.....and i'm not saying that i have huge palms but i thought it was huge for a spider!
I met another one in my bedroom last night.....identical to the one the night before......i'm hoping they're not nesting somewhere in my house!

i'm hoping they're not nesting somewhere in my house!

...err... don't mean to upset you, but they more than likely are nesting in your house as they sound like house spiders.

Do you have or would you consider getting a cat? Our cat will go for anything that moves - mice, birds, frogs, spiders...even flies and wasps!

Back