bicycle wheel warranty

moneymakeover

Hey

I bought a Cannondale bike less than 7 months ago
Cost €2k

The rear "free hub" broke and zero traction when cycling.

The shop is saying Cannondale give 90 day warranty on the wheel.

Does that seem correct?

They are not covering parts for 12 months?

I have to pay for new wheel. They are doing labour for free.

I have never before had freehub break in 40 years of cycling

Who is the manufacturer of the wheel ? Is it a Cannondale own brand or a 3rd party like Mavic, Hunt etc ?

You may be able to replace the freehub only, depends on the damage and the construction.

Rd rim
Crx hub i think
And the hub can be replaced
Latest is the hub will be returned to Cannondale and if they agree the warranty includes the hub i will be refunded €25 price

And meanwhile i pay for the wheel

As above forget chasing a manufacturer for warranty, your protection comes via the Sale and Supply of Goods acts. It would be difficult to argue that a hub that only lasts 7 months is fit for purpose. Push the shop to repair or replace, if they refuse, take a case to the https://www.courts.ie/small-claims-procedure (Small Claims Court).

As above forget chasing a manufacturer for warranty, your protection comes via the Sale and Supply of Goods acts. It would be difficult to argue that a hub that only lasts 7 months is fit for purpose. Push the shop to repair or replace, if they refuse, take a case to the https://www.courts.ie/small-claims-procedure (Small Claims Court).
It's been a while since I've read the Sales of goods act but I seem to recall there been something about, that if an item fails within the first six months of ownership the fault is legally believed to have been there at the time of purchase, I doubt very much in a court of law an extra month is going to change this

I find it hard to understand why you had to buy a new wheel, my understanding is all wheels have replaceable parts and you should have only had to replace one or all three of the following parts depending on the damage done, the hub, the freehub and the rachet system

Is this the main dealer and importer in south county Dublin or a independent small bicycle shop and which Cannondale model is it??
You say there is around 2k of milage but what type of milage was this, road or off road and what condition was the bike in
I ask because sometimes people don't realise that bikes nowadays are very highly tuned pieces of machinery that need a lot of maintenance
and if not properly looked after breakdown quickly depending on use and milage

Last edited:
It's interesting you mention the cycling conditions, there was one day i cycled thru mud because the route, that was about 6 weeks ago. There was no mud however between the gears and the axel.

The reason I wanted to change the wheel is i had to replace a spoke already, now the hub so i was tired of that wheel.

I can confirm by pm the shop if you want.

It's interesting you mention the cycling conditions, there was one day i cycled thru mud because the route, that was about 6 weeks ago. There was no mud however between the gears and the axel.

The reason I wanted to change the wheel is i had to replace a spoke already, now the hub so i was tired of that wheel.

I can confirm by pm the shop if you want.
Okay so you decided to change the wheel, so that explains that!!
Technically speaking I feel the shop is correct re the warranty on the freehub
But having said that if you're a regular customer of this shop and use the shop for servicing your bikes on a regular basis I do feel they could have looked after you a bit better given that the bike is so young and as you say "you've never had to replace one in 40 years of cycling"
I know in the bike shop I worked in for a couple of years if a regular customer came in with something like this we probably would have fixed the wheel for free as the cost of parts and labour would have been minimal but each bike shop is different

Ye it seems s grey area, there is a warranty, but for how long is the question.

Advice I have received here and from the consumer protection is the manufacturer, Cannondale warranty is not relevant to me.
My contract is with the shop. Now if the shop has a warranty of 90 on a hub... Then that's fine. But they seem to be covering themselves by using manufacturer warranty.

Let's say i went to Giant would they cover all parts for 12 months? Excluding tyres and brake pads obviously. I might ring then.

What I was trying to say above is, when a customer returns a bike with an issue the shop says...oh part X is broken? Let me check the manufacturer warranty... The bike maker warranties that part for.... 90 days

Instead of that they should say we "the shop" warranty that part for 90 days, or 365 days.

I thought it strange that the new wheel I'm buying will come with a 1 year warranty from the shop!

That's why i believe "own manufacturer" Giant might offer better terms.

Not sure how relevant this is but giant warranty own wheels 2 years

Warranty of two years:

Giant branded wheels
Electric bike unit components (motor, battery etc)
Giant Dropper seatposts

Update

After i emailed the shop outlining my issue they gave me a refund.

They say the manufacturer agreed to pay to replace the wheel because it was a good customer (me) and they could manage it that way.

When I asked the shop about the freehub and the possible reason for it breaking they said they never bothered to find out.

Back