Bettystown

S

Silvester

We're thinking about buying a house in Bettystown near the Neptune hotel.
We are at a disadvantage in that we're not seeing Bettystown during the summer. Would welcome any information from people living there. Does it get very crowded? Where do the tourists/day trippers hail from generally. Is there a 'yob element? Is it noisy at night? Thanks for any info.
PS any good pubs.

Sorry, not the Neptune. It's near the Village hotel? Is that noisy?
Also, forgot to ask, is it easy to get parking for the train in Layton and is it safe coming back late on the train? Thanks again..

Hi Silvester,
I use to live in Laytown.. Answer to your first question, Yes Bettystown gets pretty crowded during the summer months... The Village Hotel is small quiet place/famillies mainly go there.. does get quiet busy. it serves food all day which is handy!
Regarding Laytown station.. Carpark safe enough - locked everything in the booth etc.... Not enough carpark spaces though. People park at the shops , I believe now its pay and display, so thats not much good.. I would say you would be better off driving up to Drogheda station its about 10mins away parking more secure there! good luck with the move!

Yea if you get there by 7am. Drogheda train station car park is trully mental. Just not enough spaces. I used to get there at twenty past six and it would be filing up even at that time.. Seemed safe though - hubby often left his car there overnight and never a bother.
Just something to bear in mind..

Drogheda car park is full around 7. You might find a space or two till 0710, and thats it. I frequently leave my car there overnight and no trouble so far, touch wood.

Hi Silvester,

Living in Bettystown the last 24 years not a bad place to live(too many dubs ha ha!) has come on a lot. Lacking schools though! Where abouts did you buy? The prices in BT are mad its even dearer than Drogheda! Yeah car parks in Laytown & Drogheda fill up vary early. Any qs about BT feel free to ask!

Thanks Moneypitt and dmullen.
Am I right in thinking there is a bus from Btown to the station in Laytown?. That would be well handy. As far as I know there are buses into the city centre also, do you know anything about these. Won't say exactly where house is yet as no contracts exchanged yet (I'm probably being paranoid!) Schools won't affect us as children finished school.

What's it like in summer?

Ps Any decent pubs, restaurants, hairdressers? Have you been into that new Town Centre hotel, what's it like?

Silvester,

Not a frequent bus service from Btown to Ltown think there is only 5 a day. New town centre not opened yet just the hotel and gym. I believe there will be a Tesco built behind the hotel but as of yet the buliding work has not commenced. With regards to Pubs the Village & Neptune are nice and I believe the Bettystown Court is nice. I never really go out in Bettystown I always head in to Drog for the more lively nightspots. There is a hairdressers beside Londis in Bettystown Im not sure what its like I always go to Drog.

We have just moved into Btown from Malahide this week, its lovely, very quiet. I can see stars at night time!!

Is there really a Tesco's being built behind the hotel? Does anyone know anything more about the new town centre scheme?

We haven't been to the pubs just yet...new baby! but we have been for lunch in the Neptune and new hotel and they both seem nice the Btown Court has a great Carvery on Sunday.

We lived in Bettystown for a year, and in my opinion it was wonderful during the winter months, but once you hit summer you may aswell stay indoors. The town is crowded with yobbo's, drinking on the streets, fights and other unwanted activity. It goes on most places, but because Bettystown is so small you notice it more. Alot of daytrippers come out from Dublin City Centre and just turn the place upside down.

I wouldn't even drive into it in the Summer!

Tyton,

I think you getting confused with Bettystown & Dublin the day o Connell St. riots!

Is there really a Tesco's being built behind the hotel? Does anyone know anything mor

Hi Deliah,

I have been told by numerous locals there is a Tesco included in the new Bettystown Town Centre. I heard that it will be a Tesco Express/Extra. Construction starts on the new Colpe shopping Centre at Grange Rath in January which is located just 3 miles from Bettystown. The centre will include a major supermarket, Creche, Offices Bar&Restaurant. So you will have quite a good network of amenities within 10 min driving distance of Btown. All Bettystown needs now is a primary school & a park and ride Train Station on the Narroways.

dmullen, I'm amazed they don't run a regular bus from Btown to the station. Surely that would take a lot of cars off the road and help the parking situation at the station.
What's your take on what tyton said about Btown in summer? Is it really as bad as that?

I have just checked Bus Eireann timetable and to my amazement they have 10 buses running from Btown to Ltown through out the day Mon-Sat.Here is the link:
[broken link removed]. With regards to Tyton the only days you would see Btown packed is on Hot days and is all fairness apart from a good spell of weather last summer when do we ever get hot summer days. Anyway on hot days you get Families in Btown enjoying the weather on the beach & bringing the kids to Funtasia. I quote "The town is crowded with yobbo's, drinking on the streets, fights and other unwanted activity" is quite an exaggeration to say the least. I admit I have seen underage drinking whilst walking in the sand dunes on the beach which is well hidden from the public(like any town) but for Tyton to say Btown is crowded with Yobbo's is a bit much.

dmullen, it is possible we have different opinions on what anti-social behaviour might be. You cannot deny that Bettystown gets very over-crowded during the summer, and with crowds bring trouble. It's only my opinion, as I said we lived there for a year, and the winter was nice, but the summer is just awful especially since Funstasia started their media campaigns.

We went and viewed an apartment in The Anchorage in Bettystown and we're thinking about putting in an offer.
However, a colleague just said that The Anchorage is quite rough and has a real "party atmosphere". He said that his son had his 21st there, and that the people from the holiday lets apartments were passed out drunk in the hallway. This concerns me.
The apartment itself was lovely and we'd like to purchase it. However, I want to be able to feel safe in my own home.

Could you please share your opinions, good and bad, of The Anchorage apartments?

Hi dmullen and sorry for hijacking your thread silvester but this is the only place I seem to be able to find out anything about the Btown area.

I've seen work starting on the Narroways Rd already maybe they are starting to build the park and ride station. That would be fab! Mind you the access to it would have to be looked at.

Keep me up to date with any other snippets you find out dmullen!
Thanks

Back