Best Weedkiller

rustbucket

Anyone any suggestions for a good weedkiller? Have tried a few but nothing seems to work very well.

Usual weeds coming through on concrete patio. Also a really pesky vine thing that grows about a foot a day!

I have used roundup in the past and it killer everything .

I used Woodies patio weedkiller 2 months ago and still no sign of weeds. Be careful though not to get it near your plants it kills everything

Agree with Ballybrone, roundup is brilliant, buy the non-diluted in the White containers not the diluted stuff in the green containers, very expensive that way. I got a pressure sprayer before in lidl for 12 eur and I put 140 ml of the roundup into that with a fill of water, that will do a very large area and once you get rid if the big ones, just keep the sprayer handy and whenever you see little green bits blast them and then they die off to invisibility so you never need to pull them..

Gallup 360 is half the price of Roundup and just as good. I got 5L of it for €29.95 this year when Roundup was costing me €59.95.
I'll never go back to Roundup.

Thanks VOR, ran out of roundup this w/e - can you buy Gallup in Woodies and the like?

Alternatively use a homemade weedkiller made from vinegar, salt and washing up liquid.

Am I right in saying that the homemade stuff will kill everything in the ground for about 18-24 months?

I want to use a homemade recipe on my gravel and patio but I will stick to the more conventional stuff where I intend to plant.

Found this:

• 1 litre of white vinegar.

• 60 grammes of table salt.

• 1 squirt of washing up liquid

[broken link removed]

Will defo give it a shot on my gravel. Thanks all - useful thread.

Tried Roundup and no results. Got the concentrate. Cost me 30 euro for 500 ml!. Loaded it into a backpack sprayer as per instructions. Have given them 2 goes now and they havnt even wilted. Am digging them up today! Will try homemade next time

Tried Roundup and no results. Got the concentrate. Cost me 30 euro for 500 ml!. Loaded it into a backpack sprayer as per instructions. Have given them 2 goes now and they havnt even wilted.
Very strange - is it getting washed away by rain after spraying?

Very strange - is it getting washed away by rain after spraying?

Good point. I know that I noticed weeds died a lot quicker in the dry June than wet July this year. I suppose the weedkiller didn't get washed away and also the leaves took in the badly-needed liquid.

Tried Roundup and no results. Got the concentrate. Cost me 30 euro for 500 ml!. Loaded it into a backpack sprayer as per instructions. Have given them 2 goes now and they havnt even wilted. Am digging them up today! Will try homemade next time

Very strange! When using a sprayer the recommended mixture is 30ml of Roundup Concentrate to 1L of water which does 20m2. For years I have been using a lighter mix of 100ml Round up per 15l of water in a knapsack and I have never had any problems with the weeds dying. Around €32 per litre is what I pay for Round up.

The active ingredient in Roundup is Glyposate which can be found in other brands such as Touchdown and Gallup. These are systemic herbicides which normally take 12-14 days to work. The problem with these type of weedkillers, ther are good for killing established weeds but will not control the emergence of new weeds afterwards. Touchdown made by Syngenta is as good as roundup and is considerably cheaper.

Back