Best value small/midsize car at the moment

shesells

Currently driving a 04 Focus which I love, but is getting on in miles and wear and tear. Looks like the clutch is going so I'm pondering my options as to what to do. Do I invest 10% of the value in a car that's going to need annual NCTs from next year, car tax is about €400 pa, or possibly look at getting a new car with a hope of trading in or getting a scrappage deal (some garages are running these).

I've been looking at a few options, considering the Hyundai i20 at the moment. I drive about 12,000km a year, city driving during the week with trips to Cork or Galway at least once a month. It's only me at the moment, though I do need a decent boot as I manage to fill my focus totally for certain trips.

Any ideas on other cars which are safe, economical and good value at the moment?

Would you not consider going for another focus, diesel more preferably for fuel economy.There is also the option of the the toyota corolla or anything from volkswagon. I drive a focus also and I can't it one of the best cars i've had.

I drove Toyotas for over 20 years, can't fault them, but with their good rep for reliability they got a bit too expensive. So switched to Skoda last time -- the new TDi and VVTi engines from 2010 onward are very fuel efficient and you're basically buying a Volkswagen. Octavia diesel is my favourite car since my early 90s Carina. Roomy and in the second lowest tax band. Won't win any prizes for flashiness, and you'll have to put up with jokes about driving a taxi, but for me a car has only ever been about getting comfortably, safely, and cheaply from A to B. 2010 model, brand new, with aircon, heated mirrors etc. etc. was under 18k brand new with a decent scrappage and discount deal at the time. Manufacturer claims 70 mpg, I get 60, but very highly dependent on speed -- ironically I get a good bit less at 120 km/h motorway speeds. Very cheap to service too, and service interval can be set up to 30k km. There are two smaller Skoda models also.

new car

"I do need a decent boot as I manage to fill my focus totally for certain trips."

Skoda Octavia. I drive the old 1.9 TDi which is a bit noisy, but which I like enormously.

There is a newer 1.6 diesel engine I believe.

To be honest, I do mostly long distance, so the Octavia mightn't be as good for commuter.

Back