Best type of electric heater

hansov

A colleague just asked me what would be the best electric heater to get for an apartment: fan, convector or oil filled rad and the pros/cons of each type. Anybody have any ideas? My con - the leccy bill but that's another story!!

Personally, I would go for oil filled. Realistic temp control without drying out the air.

What is the technical meaning of "drying out the air"? All radiators are not exchanging the air in the room- so how can the moisture escape it ?!

Sorry heinbloed, should've really put it in inverted comma's as it is subjective and down to the way I feel it "tastes". I'ld say the better term might be burning the air, by localised direct heating of the elements, but again taste is subjective and personal and hansov did not seem to be asking for a technical reply.

Did you know what I meant?

I know what you mean! Some types of convector heaters and storage heaters can tend to have a certain "smell", barely perceptible but the nonetheless. I imagine it's probably an odour coming from dust on the heating element burning?

I'd go for a radiant heat system such as an oil filled rad. I hear that you feel warmer at a lower temp. The fan is not as effeicient. Seemingly warm objects convey heat better than hot air. Mind you depends on the size of the apartment. Might be good to consider night saver and storage heaters

PINK said:
has anyone used storage heaters are they any good

I was just going to ask that very question . Surely it makes more sense to use cheaper night time electricity than pay premium day time electricity prices?

We have been offered two of these for €60 each new in the box our back room is very big and the radiator that is in it doesnt heat it up well and i was thinking of putting one in there and our kitchen is the same very big room with one radiator we were thinking of putting them in there

I think you mean the locally drying out of the air. This could be avoided by placing two or more heating sources in the same room.But sometimes that isn't possible. Try longer running times of the existing source in combination with lower temperature setting.
In the long term it would be more economical to go for central heating, you aren't alone, so talk to the other apartment owners. A condensiong boiler ( maybe in combination with a solar panel for domestic hot water) is certainly cheaper in the long run. Individual metering can be done, it's a common feature on the continent and for many Irish apartments allready.

Back