Best TV / Ancilliary Gear to watch internet telly

MissRibena

Hi all

I'm a straightforward telly person. Fancy surround sound systems and cinema experiences are a bit wasted on me. I have a big black cube TV for 11 years still going strong and have a reconditioned sky box for freeview as well as an old school aerial for the Irish channels and a DVD player from Aldi about 6 years old.

I'm watching more and more TV/films on my laptop via my regular eircom landline broadband net connection and want to switch this to a proper telly. I also need to do something ahead of the Saorview thing so thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

Should I buy one of these Smart TVs or are they just gimicks? Is it better to just a new telly and some kind of gadget that will allow me to connect to the internet with my wireless connection (and some way of sorting the Saorview)?

Thanks a mil
Rebecca

Personally, if I was able to get a new TV, one that I would hope to last as long as your cube, I would get the latest & greatest... All depends on your budget... Smart LED 3D TVs are the latest (not fond of the 3D as of yet, wearing glasses watching TV ain't for me)

I have no idea of the differences between one brand or another, but a few googles, will point you in the right direction, think cnet do some good reviews... More & more will be streaming through the TV... smart TVs are the latest technology... all this depends on your broadband speed to get the most out of it, but as you are watching more TV/flims on your laptop, then your connection speed seems ok...

Try to "future proof" things... High Hertz level (100Hz +), WiFi (and ethernet cconnection as back up), regarding connections on the TV, more connections, the better e.g. HDMI, USB, Scart (to a lesser effect) etc... I know you state that the frills aren't big at the moment, but may change later on...

If you do decide to go ahead with a purchase, let us know what you got...

Back